Bargain Thread 2019

Yes, but 25% > 5%. And when making decisions, a heuristic that relies on percent savings is more successful than one that relies on absolute savings.

Exactly. Also, there’s the fact that when you’re “saving” five bucks on a normally 100 dollar whatsit, you’re actually spending 95 bucks. A lot harder to swallow than spending 15.

All the painkiller games are on sale on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/35563/#

You know what isn’t a mind game? More Fanatical May Sale Flash Deals!

• Assassin’s Creed : Odyssey - $22.19 with code (second lowest historical sale price)
  • Watch Dogs 2 - $7.79 with code (close to historic low)
  • FarCry 5 - $13.79 with code (close to a historic low)
  • Rainbow Six : Siege - $7.79 with code (again, matches historic lows)

The Star Deal for today is the King of Fighters Triple Pack for a historic low $6.99.

GreenManGaming also has new flash deals up for it’s Birthday Sale. Tomb Raider titles and Hitman 2 are the main offerings, with Hitman: GO free with purchase.

Almost got me there, but it looks like these are all uPlay codes.

You still have to use Uplay on any Ubisoft PC game now anyway.

If my games are on a launcher I never look at or think about, do they really exist?

You could just add a Steam shortcut for the game. It’s literally no different, since Steam is always going to have to launch Uplay anyway.

It’s not literally no different, because shortcuts have much less integration with Steam functions than even the most low effort uPlay-on-Steam games. And some more recent ones even support Steam achievements and similar - e.g. Assassin’s Creed Origins.

It’s not enough that I personally care enormously whether I get a uPlay or Steam key, but there is a difference.

(That said, since they aren’t supporting Steam anymore, going forward I’d actively rather get a uPlay key than an EGS key.)

That would require keeping them installed, but fair enough.

To be fair, I’ve done this with Steam games too, but purposely for free Origin/uPlay games just to have the GOG version instead.

Yeah, I will frequently buy a second copy, just to have the DRM-free GOG version. GOG is one place I am always willing to duplicate.

That seems crazy to me. If Steam or Origin or whatever goes under and screws me over I would have no compunctions pirating the games I purchased there, which is of course trivially easy to do. I already paid for them, this is morally free and clear.

If Steam disappears, so do your games. You are not entitled to pirate them.

When you purchase a game on Steam you are actually purchasing access to the game not a copy itself. So even though you may have the contents downloaded on your computer, they don’t really belong to you . But you can play it, look at it, delete it as you see fit.

Most likely (not 100% sure) you are allowed to back them up to an external hard drive or to the cloud as long as you don’t share them. I have no clue whether this remains true after Steam disappears however.

For me it’s also about financially supporting GOG and their business principles along with the Publishers/Developers that opt to place their games there.

Was not talking about legality, thanks. Obviously it’s still illegal.

Absolutely. I’m also a lot more confident in a GOG game being fully functional and free of unwanted extras (malware). From a purely practical, as well as moral, perspective a purchased DRM-free copy is always the preferred option to pirating.

Steam’s extras are one of its selling points, IMO.

I’m talking about as an alternative to piracy, here.

Sorry, I thought you meant a DRM-free copy is always preferable from a purely practical, as well as moral, perspective.

Preferable to pirating - see the preceding discussion.

I wouldn’t make moral judgements about GOG over Steam (or vise versa) and the practicalities are, as you say, down to individual taste for the most part. I’ll clarify the original post.