Bargain Thread 2019

It doesn’t, for blacker blacks you need a different type of display, OLED being perfect at it.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware that you could get a modern display that handled that well. Something to look into one of these days!

Yeah, but that’s because you haven’t seen it sharper. I didn’t think I needed Bluray until I saw Bluray. 4K looks astonishingly good, particularly in games.

But yeah, nobody cares about 4K Blurays.

I don’t thank you enough for putting together these weekly lists. Keep up the great job buddy!

Sounds like I’m well served to live in ignorance. :) I actually have seen it, of course, in that I’ve been past an electronics section in the last few years. It’s not remotely worth it to me to upgrade (any more than I feel a need to rush out and buy a 1080p TV). Even if it were, very little of the media I consume is even available in 4K at this point.

Wow, too bad I already have both Butcher and Devil Daggers, because $2.50 for those and, I don’t know, Stasis maybe, seems like a pretty insanely good deal.

VA panels with local dimming have come a long way, too. But, yeah, OLED is gold standard here.

With an OLED panel, each individual pixel is either lit up or not. If it’s not lighted, it emits zero light and is thus perfectly black, offering infinite contrast. OLED looks startlingly good. HDR is another real perceptible image quality improvement.

4k, not so much. Most peoples’ eyes can’t discern any difference between 1080p and 4k at normal TV sizes and couch distances, particularly in motion. You can often tell with a static image and A/B comparison, but not while watching a movie or playing a videogame.

You sit much closer to your computer monitor, and often look at static images (like reading text) so 4k matters much more there.

I have a 65" OLED and I can tell a difference with some videogames, especially when it is HDR enabled.

Yeah, OLED sounds much more like what I would consider a meaningful advance in display technology (even if said advance is largely reclaiming something we lost with the death of CRT’s).

Then either you have very good eyes or you sit pretty close to the TV. I did caveat with most people.

FWIW, I can highly recommend OLEDs for those that like contrast (true blacks) and aren’t put off by the price.

Both are true! My eyesight tests better than 20/20 (adjusted, with my glasses) and my couch sits about 7 feet from the TV.

Or they have a huge display - TV size certainly matters here.

I have a 60" TV myself and I totally can’t tell the difference on moving content, but my corrected vision is 20/20 and my couch is 11 feet from the TV.

7 feet from a 65", you must have to turn your head to watch someone walk from the left to the right of the screen!

But then, you can’t get HDR on a Blu-ray disc unless it’s 4k. In most 4k BR reviews they will say that a lot of the improvement comes from the HDR implementation, as opposed to the higher resolution, but there is a real difference in resolution quality (though admittedly nothing like DVD > BR.

Another thing to keep in mind is that on a large 4k screen, 1080 will look worse than it does on a 1080 screen, and so 4k will be an improvement over that if nothing else due to it being the native resolution, especially outside of movies.

And for what it’s worth, Internet speeds out this way are not even remotely close to being capable of streaming video that can compete even with standard Blu-ray, let alone UHD.

Sadly, OLED is very expensive and as far as I could tell when last inquiring not available in a PC monitor oriented form. (Obviously at this point one can technically just hook a TV to one’s computer but being designed for the purpose still helps a lot, I find.)

HDR is definitely the technology that has most improved my gaming experience, but there are very few games that properly support it on Windows - probably less than 10, last I checked, and most of them Ubisoft icon checklistemups. 4K is next in line and waaaay more supported.

(And forget about HDR video. Netflix technically offers it but only using Win 10’s broken as fuck HDR mode and this results in an experience that involves a lot of crashing, freezing, etc.)

My internet is fast enough, but yeah, most people couldn’t handle that quality level. 1080p quality on a 4k screen depends on how its scalar works. Some TVs handle it better than others. It should be a straight integer.

HDR is a huge improvement. Sadly it isn’t supported well in Windows, so you need to game on a console to take advantage.

That’s roughly the same field of view as sitting 2 feet away from a 17" monitor. Which actually seems pretty comfortable, you certainly don’t need to turn your head when watching a movie.

I think this is partly generational. I’ve noticed that children who grew up around tablets/monitors tend to sit much closer to the TV. Seven feet from a 65" monitor is normal for them.

This is only true for games with pixel graphics.

1080p pixel-doubles to 4k, gaming has nothing to do with it. Most 4k TVs scale rather than pixel-doubling nearest-neighbor, but some do support it.