Bargain Thread 2021

Spyro Trilogy Reignited is 60% off

Sunset Overdrive is on sale on Steam for $5 until 4/12.

Looks like a good open world shooter from what I’ve read. Note that there is no multiplayer in the PC version.

The Surge 2 is on sale at Humble for $12, and as a licensed and bonded Soulslike Aficionado I will likely pick it up. But I notice that the pack of the first and second games (no dlc) is going for only $15. The question is not so much “is the first game worth $3,” as that is a trivial amount of money, but is it worth my time. I have heard that mechanically the second game is better in every respect, but there is a contingent which holds that the first game is superior in terms of atmosphere and coherence. Will I find the first game hard to get on with, from a gameplay perspective?

I only played the first one so I can’t compare, but I can say that The Surge 2 is on MS Gamepass for PC.

Gamepass is only good for people who want to play something right now. For people like me who want a specific thing to stick into their backlog to age for a year and a half it is not so great.

thumbsagain

There’s no multiplayer going on in the Xbox version either. Zing!

But seriously, this is a great game for open-world shooty platformer fans, Insomniac made a solid game. The story & humor will be hit or miss for a lot of folks, I found it about 25% cringey.

I gather Insomniac based a lot of the mechanics of PS4’s Spider-Man on that game, which kind of makes me want to pick it up for that price, but as ever, time is the larger concern. What’s the point of buying it if I’ll never get around to playing it?

BURN THE HERETIC!

The backlog must be fed.

I’ve played both, and they were mechanically quite different games in my memory. Web-swinging traversal versus rail traversal, gun combat versus melee combat, no stealth whatsoever versus Mary Jane levels . . .

Gamersgate spring sale is going on, gonna get Filament at 76% off.

https://www.gamersgate.com/

I’m gonna pull a [recently defeated ex-President and real estate guy] and say “that’s what I was told,” heh.

This is good news. GamersGate (despite the unfortunate similarity in name to the BS “scandal” of a few years back) is a solid key reseller, and usually has some good deals. I recently picked up Space Crew from them for less than nine bucks.

GamersGate has been around since the mid-aughts and was one of the first places you could download digital copies of hard-to-get eastern European and Russian space games, so they will always have a special place in my heart for that.

Heh, for whatever reason, maybe some odd misguided association with the scandal, I’ve always thought, “Oh, I should stay away from GamersGate.” Good to know it’s another reputable site.

First game I ever bought on their site was King’s Bounty: The Legend.*

*wondering if that was a reboot of the old New World Computing game from around 30 years ago?

It totally was.

GamersGate has earnt a special place in pc gaming history. Back in the day they were selling games that Steam didn’t have, and were impossible to find in local stores (e.g. Paradox games).

I remember when I bought one of the Civilizations from them, and instantly had regret wishing I had bought Europa Universalis 3 instead. I contacted support and they actually changed the game for me, what champs (this was long before refunds were a thing). The fact that Europa Universalis 3 started my still ongoing love affair with Paradox grand strategy makes me all the more appreciative.

I think GamersGate was originally created and owned by Paradox, right? And they just decided they really didn’t want to be in the storefront business and sold it off years ago to a third party? Or am I mis-remembering my online retailer origin stories…

They are, as far as I know, a key retailer. Resellers are sites that buy unused keys (which may have sketchy origins) and re-sell them.

I used them a long time ago but they couldn’t honor key codes for a friend when Paradox switched and he didn’t handle it then and they got some weird thing that went on with my CC after years of me using them, and they couldn’t care enough to help me figure out what the deal was so… no longer a source for me.