Batman: Arkham Knight

I finished this after picking it up with the season pass during the steam sale. On the positive side, it seems the technical stuff has been largely resolved now. Either that, or my system is beefy enough to overcome its issues. It ran fine with no issues, except for dropping through the geometry couple of times. And the city certainly looks beautiful with everything maxed out.

On the negative side, everything has been getting bigger since Asylum, which was a tight, contained Batman yarn, and now it’s become so bombastic it’s ridiculous. And bloated, hitting the point of diminishing returns, where all the additional #content detracts from the experience. Like the goddamn Batmobile. It controls fine and all, but smashing through the city and fighting endless tank battles feels so fundamentally un-Batman. Or the Riddler challenges. I did all of them in the previous games, but I had to tap out around the 150 mark in this one, and look up the full Knightfall protocol on youtube.

It would not have been worth the effort.

What else is there to say about the story? The production values make some bits land despite the writing, but the setup for an empty Gotham you can smash through with abandon is contrived, the twist can be spotted from a mile away, the Joker infection is a magic justification for whatever the writers want to happen next. And it’s all so monotone dark and brooding. You can’t get away with this shit post-Lego Batman, at least not with writing this bad.

It plays as good as ever in the moment to moment stuff, but unlike Asylum or City, I can’t ever see myself going back to it.

As for the stuff in the season pass, I’ll concur with @lordkosc. The Batgirl episode is good, everything else is disposable.