Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I was going to wait until 1.0 before diving in for real, but you guys got me hooked. Thanks a lot.

This game is really addictive. But I’ve reached the point where I am considering heavier +200dp armor, but don’t want to deal with the extra fatigue. Soldiers who can only hit once every other turn because they are fatigued are no fun. :(

That is why you’ll want to consider picking up the “Brawny” and “Battle Forged” perks.

My merc band actually found a dog on the side of a road (random event) and took him in. Haven’t used him yet though but I see you have an actual Houndmaster… does he make a difference when commanding the dog?

Nah, that’s just a (very old) pic I found on the Battle Brothers web site to illustrate where the utility slot was. The name is something the devs gave him. That said, you could easily create a specialized houndmaster by hiring a brother with high initiative and giving him the adrenaline and pathfinder perks.

I usually use archer types for this as they’re well suited for it. The houndmaster will usually go first on every battle round. If an enemy has higher initiative than him you can use Adrenaline. If you put him at the end of your line to start with he can circle around behind the enemy once they’re locked down by your brothers. Run him as far as you can toward the enemy archer, making sure you still have enough actions points left to release the hound and that the hex the hound releases into is closer to the archer than it is to the other enemies (the dog AI makes a beeline to the nearest enemy). The nice thing is that the hound will take its turn immediately after you release it and because they’re so fast, will immediately reach and attack the archer on the same turn 99% of the time. It’s really helpful when fighting Goblins, for example.

Here’s a tip on something I just found out. I was wondering why I still had all those noble contracts locked even though I had very good renown. It turns out that you need to complete the Ambition to raise your renown score to “Professional” which is a little over 1,000. I already had the score high enough but I hadn’t completed that Ambition. As soon as I did complete it, all the noble contracts on the whole map unlocked. They are tougher contracts but pay much better.

Also, here’s another tip I just discovered: The patch on Friday added the ability to see how many days you have left to complete your current Ambition. Hover your mouse over the ambition trophy on the upper left of the screen and the tooltip will tell you how long you have left. VERY handy.

I put a little video together of Battle Brothers. I feel like I’m doing pretty well at this point, day 22 or so now, but I’d love any tips and advanced concepts people could offer after seeing me putz around a bit. I do try to explain some of the game concepts and cool mechanics as I go, for those that are on the fence. It’s an amazing game.

Also, will the beta version saves be compatible with the final version, does anyone know?

Questions from someone who hasn’t read this whole thread: Does price jump at release? When is release? (in other words, am I going to regret not grabbing this now?)

Yeah, it’s going to be $29.99 at launch, which is actually why I grabbed it now (it’s in final approach to 1.0).

According to the Update Release Announcement:

Any saves created with the beta version will be compatible with the release version, but some additions or late changes may require a new campaign in order to take effect. If that’s a problem for you, don’t opt into the beta.

I created a thread on their forums arguing for something more like $25 to avoid the $30 psychological barrier to impulse purchases. They replied that they’re still thinking some about the release price. The price will indeed go up though.

Actually, I found a guy for hire in a town that was a “Houndmaster”… I have 12 guys though so I didn’t hire him.

Yes, it’s helpful! I’ve done 2 ambitions so far; got friendly with a town and 12 mercs. Everybody is happy

Need to turn your mic volume up a smidge. :)

That’s pretty cool, I’m going to hire one if I see them to see if they come with any special talents.

Also, you’ll probably want more than 12 guys at some point. I usually keep one in the reserves so if one guy gets hurt badly I can move him to the reserve row where he can heal up without risk and having to fight and drag down all the other’s performance. It’s also good to rotate guys in and out once you have very high and very low level brothers in your company to even out the levels. Of course the minus to having more than 12 is the maintenance costs.

I do normally turn the music off on games when I’m recording, which makes a huge difference and is probably what’s the problem here, I suspect. Bummer.

They said as soon as they finish balancing the current update version and adding in a few more small, quality of life things they will release it. I figure than means maybe later in March? Pretty soon in any case.

Using Wardogs with a Houndmaster enusres that the Wardog comes in at Confident morale.

The Wardog AI results in the Wardog attacking the closest opponent, something to take into account if you want the dog go after a ranged unit. Having armored Wardogs is worth the money as an unarmored Wardog can get one-shotted by many foes.

I tend to release them when a unit has broken and is fleeing since the dog can run the unit down and pin it, and a foe with broken morale is less likely to kill the dog before a BB can catch up.

Oh, I was under the impression that 12 was the max. At least I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 12/12 in the GUI somewhere…

Is there a grimroire that talks about the backgrounds of each monster? I saw the wiki but that’s just about how to beat them and I don’t want to cheat myself out of learning on my own. For instance, when things happen like “feasted” besides growing bigger I don’t know what that means from the nacheherzer thingie.

Nope, 20 is the max. 12 is the max you can carry into battle. The other 8 slots are for reserves, troops that are healing up, etc. The first two rows are your battle lines (troops appear in battle how you arrange them on those 2 lines). That third line is only for troops in reserve and they will not appear in battle.

Where does it show renown level? It shows I need 1,050 renown to become professional level but not how much I have.

It’s on the “Factions and Relations” screen (at the top) hover your mouse over it to see your score.