Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

So my friends and I just got a refund for this. We played for a few hours, most of which was spent on a rinse repeat cycle of dying and respawning at the hands of horribly stacked teams. I’m talking teams of level 40-100 players stomping teams made almost entirely of single-digit noobs. We were often outnumbered too.

I can’t think of a more dispiriting and disappointing multiplayer experience, this coming from someone who’s played pretty much all the previous Battlefield games (and plenty of other online shooters over the years). It was just a colossal clusterfuck and hopelessly unfair. Is there any kind of team balancing? I’m more angry at the veteran players enjoying the game at the expense of the enjoyment of newer players. That grinds me gears like nothing else.

So we quit out (using Alt + F4 because quitting via the menus takes an obnoxious length of time) and just sat there on Windows speechless. As a support and assault I just felt utterly ineffective. My mortars were pretty fun, as were the gas grenades, but I could not for the life of me land any shots with my Lewis gun, short range or long, from the hip or down the sights, stood, crouched or prone. My squad mates who played as a medic and scout/assault felt the same.

I feel sorry for my buddy because this was his first Battlefield and major online shooter experience and he was so pumped about it. In fact, it was him who convinced me and my other friend to pick this game up at almost full price, which is pretty unheard of for us.

There’s a lot we loved about the game but in the end we just found it hugely frustrating unfortunately.