Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

Grabbed this and TitanFall 2 recently. So far most of my MP time has been spent in TF2; there’s something “off” about BF:1 unfortunately. Still miss Bad Company 2.

While still enjoyable, I find BF1 MP more chaotic and frenetic than previous BF games, especially in Conquest modes. Perhaps it is map or other design decisions (e.g. do the players run faster?). Perhaps it is me - I prefer a more methodically paced shooter (been playing a lot of Squad recently) - but even previous BF games didn’t seem quite as hectic.

My death ratio is 1.0 in BF1 but it was 1.25 in BF3 and BF4. So there’s a lot more dying in my experience.

This game doesn’t the same level of ground vehicles. I find it pretty hard to have one sitting around to jump into after a death most of the time vs previous games where there would pretty regularly be tank or IFV sitting there to jump into. In fact I could spend the majority of the time on a map in a vehicle if I wanted to many times.

The expansion is pretty cool so far! Vive la 🇫🇷!

Fair number of requirements to unlock the new weapons so read up on that as soon as you start so you can get cracking. At least one of the new weapons is clearly the best for its class, the support one. So unlock that first maybe?

• The fire map, I am not sure overall how great a map it is quite yet, but the “everything is on freakin’ fire” effect is quite cool in the level, sort of like the sandstorm in Sinai.

• The bunker map could be the new BF4 Locker. It’s neat.

I have to say the mobile tank behemoth is GREAT, such a cool addition to the Behemoths, now we have Tank, Train, and Blimp. I wonder if they will add a fourth style in future expansions.

Also if you see any of these indicators in multiplayer, reminder what they are:

I was definitely seeing the yellow fps warning a fair bit with the 1080 at 4k and a mixture of high/ultra settings, but with the 1080 Ti I don’t see it at all.

Does the expansion add any single player content? French campaign perhaps?

Or is it all multiplayer content?

All multiplayer

All 4 new maps are good. Soaked up about 3 hrs of game play, weapon unlocks are dumb, just give me the option to buy the new weapons.

Hmm, bought this and TF2 at the same time, played BF1 a bit first, but haven’t returned to it after I started with TF2 multi… Guess I could try the new multiplayer maps though. (wouldn’t call it an expansion if all it do is add MP maps+MP Gear… MP Pack I suppose. )

[quote]
When creating a party in Battlefield 1 you may notice something new: if someone owns a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass the party will become “Premium Enabled”. This will allow anyone in that party to play on all maps, regardless if they own the content or not. The access is available as long as the party is “Premium Enabled”.

While all players will be able to play on maps accessible through Battlefield 1 Premium Pass through Premium Friends, some experiences are exclusive to Battlefield 1 Premium Pass owners.

• In a “Premium Enabled” party, only owners of a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass or the specific expansion pack will earn XP from the maps exclusive to that expansion. We will save the XP for everyone else and grant them retroactively if they decide to get the Battlefield 1 Premium Pass for themselves.

• Only owners of a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass or the specific expansion pack will be able to spawn in with weapons and vehicles unique for the expansion.

• Only owners of a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass or the specific expansion pack will track progress towards the unique medals and codexes for the expansion.[/quote]

Wow, that’s really cool.

Interesting. So this is their plan to deal with all the Youtuber complaints (which are more or less correct) about how not-free DLC maps splits and progressively destroys the multiplayer community over time.

I always felt that people either bought the premium pass (it’s only freaking $60, after all) or didn’t, and that should resolve it, because premium members would have all the maps by definition. Premium was a new feature that came very late in BF3’s life as I recall?

Anyway, interesting plan, seems reasonable.

I think the issue is that on PC, getting a match on a Premium map for BF1 can be difficult. (I think it’s easier on console because the audience is just plain larger there.) Last weekend, I literally waited 10 minutes in a DLC map, and I finally had to quit to try another matchmaking session because we never got enough people joining to start the round.

I always use the server browser though. The other matchmaking is sketchy as hell.

Never had a problem using the server browser, though I rarely say “I want to play on only THIS map, and THIS map alone!”

Cool idea, but I think at this point in things making map packs a DLC is a mistake since it just ends up fracturing the community and driving more people into Overwatch’s open arms. I know they would like to charge $100+ for AAA games these days, and I don’t have a huge issue with that since Dev costs are skyrocketing, but all map packs really do is dissuade me from buying a game in the first place.

New map in June , only for premium users?

Yeah, it’s weird. I mean, cool for Premium owners, I guess, but I think this is the first time DICE/EA has given Premium owners a map that wasn’t part of the previously announced Premium package. They usually just drop a couple of extra maps on everyone for free.

Yay to EA for doing all they can to fracture the players bases up.

Some gameplay on the new map.

To be fair, DICE is the worst for this. “here’s our 8 ridiculous multiplayer modes, of which only 2 maybe 3 will ever be played by any significant number of players!”

Plus every single expansion helpfully adds even more multiplayer modes.