Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

Their handling of expansions has bugged the hell out of me since Battlefield 2, which was the first one I really played. It’s disappointing that they haven’t figured out a way to milk that sweet DLC revenue without splitting their player base.

I just can’t fucking get enough of WAR PIGEONS, mate!

The Spring Update is out now.

• 4 new weapons
  • Platoons (basically clans)
  • Server admin QoL stuff
  • More Ribbons
  • More Dog tags
  • Medic revive change

[quote]
You can now “spot” the dead player to indicate that you are on your way to them. The player will see your name blinking in the death screen and show as “incoming medic”. The medic will also shout that he is coming.

If they decide to skip anyway, they didn’t deserve to be saved in the first place.[/quote]

I wish weapons were just unlocked with war bonds I hate grinding achievements to get a piece of gear unlocked.

Battlefront: Star Wars did that too and I hated it. Buy contract, grind contract, to unlock a new weapon or piece of gear.

Another night map is coming for Premium owners.

I suppose I should play it more than the 2 hours I spent on it.

Keep the player base split…

The Russian DLC pack will have female snipers.

Ugh why is this not coming out until September…

Speaking of new maps, the previously announced Nivelle Nights is soon here. Releasing in June for Battlefield 1 Premium Pass owners, this night map is located at the muddy battlefields around Malmaison and Soupir. Bite and hold as your foe will fight for every inch of ground.

This map is out now and it’s quite good – I need to play it more but may be one of the better maps in the entire game. Lots and lots of cover and flanking routes. Good overall layout with a bridge on the center cap point that offers good visibility. Very well done night effect as well, makes me look forward to the 2nd night map that’s coming too.

Set in the autumn after the Nivelle Offensive, Prise de Tahure sees French troops desperately holding on to re-captured heights in the Butte-de-Tahure region. The frontline trench networks cut right through several villages facing obliteration from the constant skirmishing between German stormtroopers and French raiders. This is a war of attrition. Adaptability and tactics are the means to wear your adversary down.

I got in 6 rounds on the Nivelle Nights map, it is really a great map. Thanks for the heads up @wumpus

Do we have an Origin friends list? I’ve fallen into this game in a big way, and I’d rather play with some of you jerks rather than the random jerks I play with now.

Nothing beats the Qt3 BF2 private ranked server that @Kevin_J_Baird (sadly, no longer hanging out here, but seems he’s still kicking around: https://www.facebook.com/VGNRadio/) set up for us in 2005!

That was peak Battlefield!

Is it still possible to set up a private server? Does it cost a fortune?

Yes, kind of. You can “rent” a private server from EA/DICE.

Prices here:

I was playing the new Prise de Tahure night map this weekend, and it’s damn good. It’s a tight claustrophobic cluster of buildings with just enough room for the tanks to smash through the streets and alleys.

The capture point at C in the center courtyard is a constant tug-of-war between the assault troops and medics running around the middle and snipers and support in the surrounding buildings.

Perks are coming. They are being tested now. Everyone starts with Flak, Cover, and Quick Regen. You open up more options by attaining challenges.

Generic:

Flak: Incoming damage from explosions is reduced by 15 per cent.
Cover: Incoming suppression is reduced by 25 per cent.
Quick Regen: Decrease time before Out of Combat Heal by 20 per cent.
Quick Unspot: Decrease length of time you are Spotted by two seconds.
Bayonet Training: Bayonet charge lasts one second longer and recovers one second quicker.
Hasty Retreat: Increase your maximum sprint speed by 10 per cent whilst you are Suppressed.
Camouflage: When moving slowly or stationary you are invisible to Spot Flares.

Assault:

Juggernaut: Your Gas Mask also reduces explosive damage by 15 per cent (does stack).
Controlled Demolition: TNT is now detonated sequentially.

Medic:

Stimulant Syringe: Reviving an ally give you both a 20 per cent sprint speed for eight seconds (does not stack).
Concealed Rescue: Downed Squad Mates within 20m drop smoke to cover their revival (40s cooldown).

Support:

Unbreakable: Incoming suppression is reduced by 75 per cent when your Bipod is deployed.
Pin Down: The Duration an enemy remains spotted is extended via Suppression.

Scout:

Scapegoat: A decoy is automatically deployed when struck below 35 health by a distant enemy (30s cooldown).
Perimeter Alarm: When your Trip Mine is triggered enemies within 15m are marked on the mini-map.

Now available as part of EA Access.

Sweeeeet. I can continue the campaign from when I started during the Free Weekend a few months back.

After I’m done with the Titanfall 2 campaign, of course.

I’ve been sorely tempted - I mean, $30 for a year isn’t bad at all. But the thing is, I’d never buy any of the “premium” add-ons nor would I play long enough to get the unlocks. Still, might be worth it for a dip in the proverbial pool.