Battlefield V - WW2, cosmetic loot, DICE

hahahhaa :D

The whole political angle is just a red herring, they just want to make more money, and I have not problem with that. I imagine womens is a market that don’t buy games like the BF, but may find them interesting if they try it.

That’s how a lot of social change gets done, really. Montgomery bus boycott? Ended largely because the white merchants realized they were losing money, and segregation wasn’t worth it. Mainstreaming same sex couples in ads? Madison Avenue realized they were leaving money on the table ignoring gay and lesbian consumers. Etc. Might not be the ideal situation but, hey, it works. Even MLK Jr. and the other Civil Rights Movement leaders realized that they didn’t have to (and probably couldn’t) change all the hearts and minds they’d like to, but they would settle for guilting people into civil rights legislation.

Not that a Battlefield game necessarily rises to those levels, but as an industry, gaming is pretty important, and shifts like this can still be significant.

Release moved to November 20th!

For me by me. Get it right. Plenty of stuff to play in Sept and Oct.

So if everyone boycotts BF5 that’ll result in games avoiding women characters? That’s what seems to be happening considering pre-orders are down 85%…

Pre-orders being down 85% because of boob inclusion defies belief.

If I was forced to guess I think it would have more to do with the shitting of the bed they did with Battlefront than adding women.

That was apparently incorrect.

Those numbers were taken out of some analyst’s ass. It was based on amazon orders, while there were no BF5 physical copies for sale. So they compared apples to apples and oranges.

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1031945656854691840

I think that if pre-orders are down, it is more likely to be due to the whole debacle with loot boxes in Battlefront 2.

Personally, Battlefront 2 soured me a bit on EA and Dice as a whole. I know BFV is supposedly loot box free, but I will definitely not be pre-ordering it, based on their history.

The WSJ Chimes in.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ea-blinks-in-videogame-shooter-standoff-1535645821

EA Blinks in Combat Videogame Standoff

Delay of ‘Battlefield V’ release is costly in the near-term but may help the game in the longer run

Actually, I really wish you wouldn’t do that. If a site has a paywall, especially a worthy legit news site, I’d ask that you honor the intent of the fee - namely to pay for journalism.

The link is fine, and an excerpt is cool. Reposting the whole article is kind of tacky.

Consider it deleted. :)

I didn’t see a paywall.

Cool! I subscribe, so I can’t tell. WSJ frequently does use one; it is a lot like the NYT in how it operates (I think). ; Free “X” number of article views and then it charges. I have heard enough complaints about one when I do post a WSJ link to know it is an issue.

Their concerted effort to be more open is promising.

I’m watching some Twitch streams and I don’t like what I see. It looks like BF1 with a ww2 skin and some modifications on top of it (building fortifications, the revival changes, etc).

My problem is that since BF1 it seems to have lost the core gameplay of a Battlefield game: vehicle gameplay!

• I barely see anyone in jeeps, half tracks or tanks.
  • There are less vehicles in each map, just two or three combat land vehicles for a 32 player team! (unrelated to the vehicle issue, but the maps aren’t big enough for 64 players, imo)
  • You enter more slowly in them, thanks to the new animations. Realistic, but not the best for a fast, responsive gameplay.
  • Vehicles are slower, which makes them less fun. A bit of realism I guess given the setting, but hey, it isn’t like the rest of the game is realistic.
  • Vehicles only spawn in bases. So no more running in the middle of a fight to a newly spawned vehicle to turn things around, no more stealing by surprise enemy vehicles, basically less dynamic gameplay.
  • Speaking of less dynamic gameplay, less vehicles also mean less infantry vs tanks gameplay, with I loved, both hunting hidden enemies with the tank, and the other way around: trying to get to the enemy tank’s back and blow it up with rpg or c4.
  • I don’t see any really big map, it’s clear they know most players will by on foot.
  • Lack of portable AA manpads for infantry and lack of helicopters makes the air players and ground players to have less interaction. I know this is just because of the setting… but it makes for a worse game.

edit: at least the gunplay seems good!

I am watching a stream now on twitch, dude supplying people 30-40 feet away by tossing ammo packs, looks so cheesy. :/