Battlefront II - EA and DICE versus the Dark Side

Now playing, and the game is fun as hell, all this hand wringing about not being able to play as hero x immediately notwithstanding.

I wonder why…

You see, that was a joke. I don’t even like playing as the heroes. I just got the digital premium edition same as every other battlefield game. Except I don’t think I did that for Battlefront 1?

OH MY GOSH you guys it was toward the end of the match and I had a ton of combat credits, so I just played as the objectively best Star Wars hero… Lando Calrissian. Here is a video fo him in action.

He has a sweet thermal scope on his pistol, some kind of smoke bomb, and I guess a hyper-fire mode. And a super, super sweet cape and hairdo.

The game is genuinely a ton of fun.

The loot boxes and progression system stuff is terrible, but frankly based on the beta I just don’t find the game fun. Too much getting shot from across the map by people you don’t see, and I don’t give a shit about the prequel/sequel content. At least the first one had classic Star Wars locations and unit types. Never really got on with the air/space combat in either game.

The entire COD/BF-style of MP has gotten familiar and stale, and frankly all this (essentially) endless respawninfbmakes it a nonstop violent cartoon. Watched some streams of this new game and it’s just running around and blasting things as fast as you can before you eventually get blasted yourself. Rinse and repeat ad naseum.

I’ve been playing in the SquadOps (for the game Squasd) community for almost an year now, and even though you only get one life, it’s all tension and tactics. It’s platoon-vs-platoon action, with organized hierarchy, and a semi-realistic adherence to doctrine.

This is incorrect. DICE/EA reduced the credit reward for completing the campaign. Previously, you were supposed to get 20k credits at the end of the campaign, but now you get 5k. DICE and EA say the reward was reduced to match the price of the Iden Versio hero unlock, because the intent was that you’re supposed to use that reward to purchase her.

The fact that players get a credit reward and are prompted to purchase a hero instead of just being given one as an unlock illustrates the way a business model can take over a game experience. The goal here isn’t to reward a player’s accomplishment. It’s to get them to try the in-game store system and participate in the loot box economy.

Yep the easy solution is to reward the character for completing the campaign and then there is no issue at all.

That’s why I only gave the last one a few hours before I gave up. Terrible game. You spawn in, you die immediately. Hoth was the worst about this, at least the other maps had some cover you could try to run to.

My guess is as soon as sales slow, after the holiday/movie hype dies down, this game is going to be part of the Origin Access system. They want as many people playing as possible to be subjected to the temptation of the loot box system.

Most likely. The first game has been on EA Access, and I assume Origin Access, for a while now.

The first game was released in Nov 2015, and it was added to EA/Origin Access in Dec 2016, 13 months later. If they hold to the same schedule, Battlefront 2 should be coming in Dec 2018.

Yeah, they’re not going to just give the game away unless they decide they only want to make money from loot boxes that people already hate. That doesn’t seem like a great plan to me.

I really enjoyed the beta. Space flight especially was a ton of fun once I got the hang of it. I’m going to wait for this mess to sort itself out, though. It can wait til Christmas Day or longer to see if anyone plays it.

I played the hell out of the first Battlefront a couple years ago. I can always jump in that one… at least until they announce they’re turning the servers off which I expect to hear about in about two months time given it’s Electronic Arts and they always throw more fuel on the hate fires.

I don’t give a gallon of post vegetarian indian food diarrhea about the multiplayer, so the excessive monetization is actually a bonus for me. It means the base price of the game will quickly drop to get new players into the lootbox cycle, and I can buy it on the cheap in a couple months for the reportedly excellent singleplayer campaign.

I’m super curious to see your assessment of the campaign after you play it.

I’ve read and heard the campaign is either pure shit or great. :D

Ya just like microtransactions and loot boxes brought us base games for free… you are crazy if you think that all this loot box fuckery means lower prices down the line.
All this means is that more and more game systems will be coopted by monetization schemes. There was a time when you were called crazy if you complained about cometic microtransactions and now we have the same discussions with real gameplay systems and yet again we are at the point where one group thinks that’s okay because it doesn’t affect them (too much) yet.

I think I’ve read three reviews already that have used “visually stunning” to describe the graphics.

The game’s ongoing revenue comes from microtransactions, so even giving it away completely free would make some money. I don’t think they’ll do that, but it will certainly provide a strong incentive to depress the initial purchase cost after the 3 month launch window.

All games get less expensive with time, what has that got to do with microtransactions? If anything the last few years have once again shown that more money in the pocket’s of devs/publishers doesn’t mean it will benefit the games or the gamers.
All it does is further fuel the greed of those people which is why we have reached this point in the first place. Sometimes I worry what will be seen as “acceptable” in 10 years from now.

How was my reasoning unclear?