Battlefront II - EA and DICE versus the Dark Side

This exactly describes my experience with DICE games on Ps4.

I always called that warping. Or is it just warping when you see it happen to someone else? I might have been Doing It Wrong.

-Tom

Warping works too, I’ve experienced high lag situations where the game straight couldn’t decide where I was and shifted me around in all directions. I think rubber-banding best describes the flavor where the game keeps time shifting you backwards along your path and you just can’t quite ever get to where you want to.

They way it feels might be more pronounced in certain engines based on how it’s prediction system is implemented. In most all online games where we are, where other people see us to be, and where the game state actually places us can vary. Sounds like a good plot for a future Black Mirror episode…

Yeah, warping, lagging… those are more common terms for online instability that results in you being displaced. Rubber banding more specifically refers to the behavior described in racing games up above where the AI keeps snapping back to the front or you as the leader keep snapping back into reach.

The usual cause for warping and lagging is what my kids like to call other people’s “Potato Internet”. LOL! I love that term.

Seriously though, if you game online, you should probably use wires. It’s not just you that’s getting upset at your warping.

I don’t really call it anything, I just scream “FUCKING LAG” and slam my keyboard into the desk.

Dude, you need to get off that potato internet!

I really don’t know what is up with DICE games. No problems online with any other PS4 games, but lag rubber banding is just atrocious to the point of unplayability.

Back when I was playing BF4, I actually widened a hole in the wall of my apt to pass a cat 5 cable through to the living room. This is really a rare case of the PS4 wireless being crap and DICE networking not playing nice with my internet. This has been the case with 2 different routers too.

PC runs fine.

LOL. A thank you to the beta participants.

We know you have a lot of questions about Crates and progression, so we want to clarify a few things, as the complete system was not in the Beta and will continue to be tuned over time:

• There are many things you can earn in the game, including weapons, attachments, credits, Star Cards, Emotes, Outfits and Victory Poses.
  • As a balance goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.
  • Crates will include a mix of of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.
  • Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.
  • If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.
  • And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.

We also have heard some players are looking for a way to play where all players will have the same set of Star Cards with flattened values. Like everything else, we will be continually making necessary changes to ensure the game is fun for everyone. We will work to make sure the system is balanced both for players who want to earn everything, as well as for players who are short on time and would like to move faster in their progress towards various rewards.

I think they’re going to tinker, but I did notice the bit about turning duplicates into crafting parts before. If that works like Call of Duty: BLOPS III, that’s probably ok. I went back and played the original a little bit again the other night and I enjoyed it, but the new game has some really good stuff in it, too. I think it’s all going to come down to the maps and whether we get some Walker Assault-style stuff too…

LOL!

What are we laughing at, by the way?

The then game leaps into the future to the forest moon just before the climactic moment where the Millennium Falcon blows up the Death Star as Iden and the rest of the Inferno Team try to fight their way back to their command post. Interestingly, some of the firefights here can be skipped, if you are feeling too moral to shoot some celebrating Rebels from the grassy knoll.

No Russian, I guess.

Offering his take on people’s concerns, Chris Matthews (art director at EA Motive, the team behind Battlefront II’s campaign) said: “Right now there have been games that exploit players and there have been games that have done it in better ways.”

He continued: "DICE [developer of Battlefront II’s multiplayer] has taken great care to make sure that Star Cards and the way they work give you more options in battle. Terms like pay-to-win and stuff like that are hard to dodge, but the guys are doing a really incredible job of trying to balance that system.

First, I’ll shoot some Rebel scum who just blew up my space base where all my friends were. While they are celebrating. No problem.

Second, super disappointed they dialed back the punch of the weapons. I thought the sights and sounds of the blaster fire was a highlight of the first. Hope they fix it.

Once again, loud and pointed bitching works.

Epic Star Cards, the highest tier of Star Cards available at launch, have been removed from Crates.

Thanks for posting it. I got the chills watching it and I’m super pumped for the single player campaign.

I am looking forward to this a surprising amount. Although the conquest beta map sucked as @Telefrog noted (I hope you like a long corridor with some spammy kill rooms at the end) the game was fun as hell in every mode.

Perhaps I will meet you there, sir.