Battlestar Galactica 28: I Swear This Has Happened Before

I will cede my win spot and be in the random pool.

Anyone interested in an…experiment?

Yes??

Always.

Definitely

As long as it doesn’t involve razors, I hear that’s bad.

Does it involve networked computers? I’m in either way.

Here’s my plans so far. They’re half-baked, debate them if you like.

1. Cylon Attack Crisis (CAC) cards and Super Crisis cards are back in the decks.
  2. Mk7 Vipers are undamaged to start the game.
  3. When a CAC is drawn, it resolves like so:
    A) The necessary ships are taken from the Cylon Fleet.
    B) If there are not enough ships on the CFB, they are brought in from the Cylon ship supply.
    C) If there are too many ships on the CFB, the current player decides which ships to move to the main board.
    D) When the CAC is resolved, the Pursuit Track moves 1 step back.
  4. When a CAC Super Crisis is played, it’s resolved as normal, all ships come from supply, if there are not enough, they move from the CFB. The Pursuit Track does not move. (It’s a Super Crisis, man.)
  5. Broadcast Location now reads ‘Advance the Pursuit Track by 1 step’.
  6. Scar appears on the CFB. If he makes it to the main board, he jumps with the human fleet.
  7. Pegasus can only be damaged if a player is on the Pegasus board.
  8. Mutiny cards, all Crisis cards related to Mutiny, and all characters and cards that relate to the Mutiny deck are removed.
  9. 0 or 1 Cylons will be ‘awake’ at the beginning of the game. 2 are guaranteed at 4 Distance.
  10. Everyone starts with a full hand of 5 cards from their skill set.
  11. Reckless will trigger when triggered by game rules. If a check is less than zero, one Treachery card will be flipped. If the number on the Treachery card is less than the amount the check is failed by, the card will take effect. i.e. If the check sits at -6 and Violent Outbursts flips over, Violent Outbursts will trigger. Be cautious.

I also plan to ‘rebuild’ the character icons, so there will be a wait anyway. If you have ideas to add or hate anything I’ve listed, we have plenty of time to fight…er, discuss…it.

Will we stick with convention and have both pilots or president&admiral as the cylon pair?

I am not sure on the #7 Pegasus rule. I really like the idea but between the President probably on Caprica One and Pilots in Space and the fact that Humanity spends the second half of the game in Sick Bay and the Bright it could be hard to have someone on it at lot of the time. And losing the damage sponge would be rough.

Actually that’s another plan, we could add in that I’m allowed to fudge so neither of those happen.

Titles move and I think it’s enough if we’re not going to allow 2 before sleeper. Also I edited my post above just FYI.

Also I am still tenous on the whole meta balance thing so I will in no way be offended if my thoughts are disagreed with.

True, but I had to help the Cylons out as well. Getting rid of Mutiny is yuuuge.

Let me count who’s being favored in my little list.

1. Favors Cylons
  2. Favors Humans
  3. Is basically just the game rules for 1)
  4. Favors Cylons (if they even draw that SC) (weak favor)
  5. Favors no one, really.
  6. Favors no one.
  7. Favors Cylons bigly.
  8. Favors Humans massively.
  9. Favors Humans a little bit.
  10. Favors Humans.
  11. Favors Humans (over the any check <0 rule).

I think I tipped the balance towards Humanity, and yeah the damage sponge is a thing. So are Engineering cards, which people seem to be averse to :)

I could try to have an opinion, but it wouldn’t be a well informed one. It’s different, which is nice.

What if we took away the choice and made it a die roll? Such as:

1-4 = Damage Galactica
5-8 = Damage Pegasus

Uh now after looking at how much card work I would have to do, none of this seems fun.

Then it’s a great idea and I’m in!

I used to play with a house rule that basestars attacked both Galactica and Pegasus (with separate rolls). I guess face-to-face our Cylons weren’t doing a great job of putting down damage because I can’t imagine how we’d cope in these games without some sort of damage sponge. Perhaps by just always choosing the Chief.

To fix your proposed rule, how about something along the lines of damage from Cylon ship attacks on a human turn can only go to Pegasus if there’s a human there, but other damage can be directed freely.

I don’t like a lot of my list anymore and I don’t think a game (well a game that I run) will happen soon. I will continue thinking.

No pressure to start soon obviously.

I do think that the first attempt will probably end up unbalanced an unknown direction and we can always course correct. The game is fun regardless of how it goes so I don’t think we should be worried to try things. Even a disaster game will be fun considering pretty much all of them are in some way or another ;)