Battlestar Galactica

I finally caught up with the episodes over the weekend, and this show is just awesome - easily the most enjoyable sci-fi I’ve watched since B5. It’s pretty clear that some thought has gone into the making of it, and it makes a nice change from some of the drivel we’ve seen. I might have to go and buy the mini-series DVD just to show that I care ;)

4th Episode was rather good. Starbuck character episode, and it was quite good. We learn they only have 40 Vipers. Now, of course, everyone will start counting Vipers.

“Luckily, we encountered a lost starship called Voyager that lent us its Runabout Cloning Technology.”

I liked the shots of the vipers flying. They give a real impression that the pilots need to have the skills to use them, not simply hop into the cockpit and start blatting things.

I’m very worried that next week’s episode will turn into Enemy Mine with Starbuck and a Cylon having sex and struggling to survive.

Not a bad episode, too bad the levity at the beginning got ruined but it’s nice to see. Edward James Olmos’ maintaining his dignity through the whole beginning is quite amusing to watch.

— Alan

Great episode.

And I am definitely going to be counting vipers. Also, pilots.

You may not be able to do pilots, as they now have multiple training classes with an undisclosed amount per (except for maybe Starbuck’s class).

39 Vipers now I guess? :)

— Alan

I don’t recall them talking about any classes other than Starbucks.

Also, I hate cliffhanger episodes.

Apollo mentions the next class has recruits that have never even flown in space before.

— Alan

Yeah, but no mention of any other teachers.

There were two flight instructors, but they were civilian.

Well, the other two would be teaching them the basics of flying. Get them to the point where the first class is, in other words.

Starbuck’s job would be to then take them and teach those new pilots how to fly Vipers.

Overall a good episode, though the deal with the drone was entirely too convenient for my tastes. I can’t see why anyone would have drones, or missiles, that would armed and ready to launch because of a short fall.

I’m just going to pretend it was another, more subtle, bit of sabatoge from Boomer, who weakened the ropes and armed the drones in the hope of something bad going on.

I’m missing something (probably due to my dodgy memory) - I can understand the significance of touching the briefing room picture, but I can’t recall the significance of the picture itself?

Speaking of pictures - the scene in the first episode where Dualla is told to take her photos to the wall outside and the entire corridor is full of pictures just blew me away.

EP4 - good episode, although I yelled at my TV when the “to be continued” came up.

The picture is a very nice touch, but I don’t remember what it is either. Only thing I can think of is that maybe it’s a picture of Helo as he was being left behind.

The wall of photos is a bit of a 9/11 thing. I wasn’t too particularly comfortable with it but I understand the reason why they had that scene.

— Alan

I thought the wall of photos was fantastic. It communicated a genuine sense of loss, and an attempt to heal in the face of crushing devastation. It also shows the contrast between the humans and the machines.

The machines just post .JPGs.

I didn’t even realize this until afterwards, and even went back to make sure I wasn’t imagining it, but did anyone else notice how much the ‘shaky-cam’ effects were toned down during the CGI sequences in the 4th episode?

Granted, there’s more than enough ‘shaky-cam’ going on in the live-action sequences on Caprica with Boomer and Helo, but at least in space it’s easier to see what’s going on.

I’m glad they didn’t completely get rid of the camera movement, though, just turned it down. The camera follows ships as if it’s one of them, and you still get shaking going on when a Cylon Raider roars by, but the subtle use really strengthens the effect.

I didn’t even realize this until afterwards, and even went back to make sure I wasn’t imagining it, but did anyone else notice how much the ‘shaky-cam’ effects were toned down during the CGI sequences in the 4th episode?

Yes!

I really liked the shaky cam while OUTSIDE in space, but they need to get rid of it inside. Their CGI space scenes are, as of now, the most realistic looking ever and I think the shaky cam lends to that significantly. IT makes you feel like the photographer is moving around and trying to keep everything in focus and in frame. Inside it’s just annoying and stupid.

The same folks that have done BG did Firefly; personally I like the latter better because of the lack of sound effects, which I thought was a really nice touch.

— Alan

Another good episode.

One thing that’s getting to me though is the constant… “HUMANS ARE FLAWED!” subtest.

I’m also wondering where all the people on Caprica went.

There must be so many blooper reels of Mary McDonnell cracking up while Six was doing her thing with Baltar. Nobody could sit there so seriously with all that going on…