Battlestar Galactica

Yeah, but that also leaves questions. Such as, if the Cylons had infiltrated the fleet earlier, why didn’t these suicide bombers strike during one of the 33-minute attacks? If just one had hit the Galactica at the right time, the fleet probably wouldn’t have escaped one of those ambushes. I think we’re eventually going to hear someone say “The Cylons are just toying with us–why?” and I’m getting a bit tired of everyone ignoring the obvious.
I mean, what the Cylons are doing pretty much proves that they aren’t seriously trying to wipe out all humanity. You’ve got that supposedly hijacked ship from the first episode, the water sabotage, the bombs designed to hurt but not cripple the Galactica, the teases between Six and Baltar (which aren’t public knowledge of course, but still let the reader in on Cylon motivations), etc.

I think what’s happening with the fleet is the same sort of experiment as is happening with Helo on Caprica. It’s like the Cylons have decided to wipe out most of humanity in order to create a small sample pool that it can monitor and test to see whether the species should live or die as a whole, or maybe merge with the Cylons somehow. I’m wondering if these advanced Cylon human types are based on real humans, too, and if some faction of humanity got involved with the Cylons not long ago, leading to this slaughter, the apparent Cylon technology advances, and this weird crypto-religious stuff that seems more human than machine.

For anyone really interested in upcoming episode summaries and potential spoilers, Gateworld.net has them available.

I checked out the original Battlestar Galactica 2-hour pilot from the video store today and used it in my brand-new VHS player. (And I thought I was done with VHS… then my girlfriend shows up and needs to watch a bunch of old Shakespeare available only on VHS…)

Man, I’m sorry. I may have been a little harsh on the “new” pilot, but the old one sucks. The first hour is good, but after that, it turns into a big old “WTF is up with this crap”. I mean, you’ve got Colonel Tigh stealing uniforms from pilots!

I’m going to start up another thread about the 3-month headstart that SkyOne has over SciFi… figure I’d leave this thread for actual show issues rather than metapoo.

Old Galactica is something I never really saw as interesting. It got bogged down in bizarre 80’s sensibilities. I think truly timeless television and movies manage to not really mean anything about the specific world they were made in.

Not if you watched it when you were 10. Man, I loved Sunday nights that one season BG ran on ABC. Used to get together with a couple of friends and we’d always have to cross our fingers that the weather was really clear that night, because our dinky little town didn’t have cable at the time. The three of us were absolutely crushed when the show was cancelled.

BTW, that should be 70s sensibilites. The original BG ran in 78-79. Didn’t you get that from the big pouffy hair? :-)

Sorry, the hair really failed to differentiate itself from its appearances in other Glen Larson shows of the 80s.

C’mon man, you can totally tell the difference between Automan puffy hair and Battlestar Galactica puffy hair.

And nobody was doing that Farrah Fawcett wing thing in the 1980s. One look at Cassiopeia is all you need to tell the decade of the original BG.

BTW, that should be 70s sensibilites. The original BG ran in 78-79. Didn’t you get that from the big pouffy hair?

I had to see it through a lens of 15 years ago. I am not an American.

That was a neat episode. The opening scene and the closing scene with the zoom in and zoom out of the fleet was cool.

The Galactiva Boomer — CYLON — scene was interesting. Is it some subaspect of Boomer’s personality?

As for Six… she went… where? Crazy.

The bathroom scene was great. While maybe not the first scifi show with a bathroom, definitely the first one to feature actual cross-stall dialogue.

So given that sn.o isn’t responding, where are you guys finding this?

http://www.btefnet.net/

This working for anyone? Crazy slow (15-30kbps usually, with drops to under 10) for me, and the connection drops completely for long periods of time. Lot of leeches right now, I suppose, but I never get this kind of slowness with Suprnova with similar seed-leech rations. Speaking of which, anyone know what’s up with Suprnova?

Sky One. Every Monday.

Man, so nice to get a show first for a change…

Who knows, Brett. It doesn’t seem to be all that uncommon, unfortunately.

I’m hoping its up soon and someone puts the new godfuck awful Screen Savers up.

Actually, I think this is the same torrent that sn.o ends up posting.

I had the episode DLed in an hour.

As usual with BT and me, files grind to a halt during the last 3-4%. Is this normal? I’m using Shareaza, and think I’ve got everything configured for max speed. Did a fair bit of tweaking a few months back.

I used to have that problem with Shareaza all the time with large files, but it went away when I switched to Azureus.

Azureus has some interesting plugins like Auto Speed which I’d like to see ported to other clients. </derail>

This episode was a trip. Amazing writing.