Battlestar Galactica

OK, so I know @Jorn_Weines said “Don’t watch The Plan”.

So say you all, @Knightsaber, @Perky_Goth, @CraigM, @rowe33 ?

Like in the show, they didn’t have a plan. It’s alright. None of the movies feel truly ‘essential’

Give me a binary answer. :)

On his Re-View of BSG, Navaronegun Should Watch The Plan.

• Yes, So Say We All.
  • Frack That

0 voters

Even if you do watch, I think you’re supposed to watch it at the end, right? After the series is over? So you can decide when you get later in the series.

I’ve never seen it, so I can’t comment either way. I just didn’t feel the need to see it, since the fourth season does a great job of showing what the Plan was. I just didn’t think they could add much to that.

The Plan is just a recap from different character POV’s. Seriously.

Blood and Chrome isn’t bad, though.

I never saw The Plan. I do recommend Blood & Chrome, Razor, etc though.

I plan to do Razor (between 3 and 4). When should I do Blood and Chrome in the Re-View?

It takes place during the first Cylon War, so the only connection is really the advent of the Husker Viper.

So pick any season break and watch then.

My 2¢ - yeah, Blood & Chrome is nice for any break, and it’s pretty well done. Razor is integral to the story, imho. However, there’s some dispute as to when it should be watched. Some people suggest it should be viewed during the second season (after episode 17, The Captain’s Hand). On the flipside, the show makers intended for it to fall where it fell, and the ending has some spoilers if you watch it earlier.

Which, if you’ve seen the series before, makes it irrelevant.

Much like Agent Smith I’ve had an epiphany, and I’d like to share it with you. You see … I don’t really like Battlestar Galactica. And I’ve had the damnedest time pinning down why exactly that was, and I think I’ve got it - I don’t care at all about the Cylons. Like, whenever the show turns its focus to them I feel myself tuning out. I don’t find their schemes interesting, I don’t find their zealotry interesting, and I didn’t find the mystery of who would be the next characters revealed as Cylons interesting.

The humans and their plight were interesting. The arcs I loved best focused on them, their initial headlong escape, the New Caprica arc, the Pegasus, hell even all the presidential crap was what kept me tuning in. I almost wish the Cylons had been kept as indistinct, unknowable enemies. All right, enough about that, back to the voting.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I have only seen the first two seasons. I have only good memories.

I’d love to see a similar type of series that does this sort of thing. The Cylon antics were something I accepted and endured so I could get more of the human-based drama.

All this talk made me schedule the beginning of my re-watch for tomorrow night. It’ll be the … 4th? time I’ve watched through the series.

I am kind of there, I think? but I am withholding judgement or comment until this re-binge is completed. I am almost halfway through S2. I am gonna take a break this weekend for some films.

Did you stall out or are you still making your way through the show?

I was listening to a Great Lecture series on the Barbarian cultures of the Steppes, and the other day they were talking about how through most of human history humans follow polytheism. Monotheism is relatively new. It made me think of Battlestar Galactica.

Now my memory might be failing me, but wasn’t this the show where the humans on the show are polytheists, and the Cylons are monotheists? I think I remember that, and I remember really getting a kick out of that every time it was brought up. I was listening to another lecture recently, the Daily Lives of the Ancient World, and the professor there really put it well when he said, put yourself in the shoes of these ancient Egyptians. All their lives they have worshipped these gods that they prey to. The god that makes the Nile flood every year never lets them down. The one that takes care of them in the afterlife is worshiped and there’s a whole commercial industry devoted to that. And then here come the monotheists, telling you to forsake all that for a single god. Can you imagine how scary that would be?

Yes. Though I will say, the Colonists seem very secular and “Post-religious” if you will. The Original TV series actually had many religious parallels to Judaism for the Colonists. The reboot abjured that and opted for…something in opposition to the Cylons that is ill-defined, kind of?

I stalled out at the end of Season 2…

The polytheism of the Colonials is very much more cultural than religious even. Kinda like how Judaism is as much cultural as religious for many. The idea of a secular or atheistic Jew is not unheard of, much more so than the notion of an atheistic Christian or Muslim.

Note the above is, I acknowledge, a very amerocenteic conception of the intersection of religion and culture. A, perhaps, better parallel may be Indian Hindu’s. Polytheistic, cultural as much as religious, many practicioners do so less out of genuine belief than cultural and family heritage. Having spent several months in India working, and working for an Indian company, it is something I am very familiar with now.

Anyhow the show does bounce around the idea, but never outright states a position. The only clear conclusion I think you can draw is that the particular polytheism of the Colonials is wrong, but that the monotheistic perspective of the Cylons may not be either. The show does clearly implicate there is something out there, but not nessicarially a deity. More, perhaps, angels.