Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

I used my Dragon as a bruiser, since it had a an above average melee damage, coupled with small lasers. It did some nice damage and it was fast!

The Shadowhawk will do the same thing with something like 2-3 more tons of available space (due to lesser XL engine weight in a Medium Mech versus Heavy Mech) and also a higher initiative, which is a big deal. The Shadowhawks in this game have a base melee damage of 85, as opposed to 70 for the typical 55 ton mechs, and make excellent brawlers with SRMs and medium lasers.

I often run a Shadowhawk as my primary brawler until I can get a Grasshopper going which is probably my favorite brawler in the game.

Both are well worth your time I reckon. MYZ is shorter and more story driven. Battletech is more serious and grindy. Depends if you want a 50+ hour game or a 15-20 hour game I’d say.

I’ve just started MYZ and at the moment it feels like an rpg with an xcom-ish tactical combat system. Not sure if that will hold true, or not. I like the vibe of it though, so it will be interesting to see where the story goes.

Not to derail, but I found MYZ far more linear than BT. There are parts in MYZ where, despite the options provided by the map, you really only have one way to go due to enemy level.

So have you folks tried the “One Man’s Trash” Flashpoint, featuring “Trustworthy Client” Ed Corbu? B/C that made me laugh hard.

Just finished a flashpoint for Draconis Combine, killing a Davion war criminal. Started out as a 3.5 skull flashoint, but I made flashpoint decisions that caused the last 2 missions to be 4 skull, and the last 3 I had to do consecutively without structure repair (although I did receive ammo refill and armor repair). Fortunately I had put together a pretty nasty heavy lance by then, all custom layouts, with veteran pilots: Grasshopper brawler, Thunderbolt short range ML/SRM pounder, Orion AC5/PPC sniper, and Catapult 4XLRM missile boat. We had 4 nasty fights, the last 3 a brutal grind, but we won with beat to hell mechs, 2 of the 4 pilots on the last mission injured (and 2 earlier mission pilots injured) and for our reward…

Well, initially I looked at the “rare” reward for the flashpoint and felt monumental disappointment. Then I looked at the “lesser” rewards and was all smiles:

I will accept that as adequate rewardage for a tough flashpoint. Soon, I shall build a King Crab that will make the baby Jesus cry. I just need 2 more pieces of salvage…

Also, that rangefinder. I’ve never had a 100m one before. I wonder how much difference it will make…

Relearning the game continues. Decided to try a career using the Consolidated Company Commander mod. Had a pretty light lance to start with, not nearly as nice as my starting lance in the regular career game. Chasing down a locust to finish the first mission. Move 2 of my mechs to get closer to where the other 2 are fighting it, “hmmm what were those red markings on the ground?”, kill the locust so the mission ends, and the transport lands killing not 1, but 2 of my mechs. That was a short career. I need to get used to weapon ranges again as well.

I wish the expanded map from RogueTech was a separate mod. The map there looks awesome. It looks like there are hundreds of systems to travel to.

Have you folks seen the new Tournament of Champions Flashpoint? Ostensibly a 2 skull flashpoint, that’s kind of beside the point b/c you pilot lances of stock mechs selected by the tourney organizer a crazed weirdo named Prof. Mencius Horvat.

Here is a taste of what the Tourney offers:

Finally decided to bite on the season pass with the E3 discount at GMG.

So does anyone have a “best mods” list they’d like to offer which works with all the DLC? If it helps, I’m single-player only, not looking for a hardcore-Dark-Souls-in-a-mech experience, and … haven’t finished the campaign (despite well over 100 hours spent in-game; I’ll probably restart now that I have the DLC unless people think that’s a waste of time).

I haven’t played around much with mods. I tried consolidated company commander the other day, but it was kicking my butt pretty badly. I’ve also been interested in checking out roguetech.

I’m not a huge fan of 3050 technology, so I’ve stuck with 3025 Extended (https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/387?tab=description). It’s a bit of a slog to install due to the size of the assets and the limited download speeds, but it’s a great mod that works well and adds a lot more 3025’ness to the game.

If it doesn’t have my trustee LB 10X AC with cluster ammunition, then what’s the point?

I would love to play 3025 Extended with the map that they have in roguetech which adds a ton of systems.

I tried the extended mod but then they patched it and I haven’t been motivated to go through the install again.

I just picked up the Mercenary edition on the Paradox sale ($30 for base game + Season Pass) yesterday. Seems like a crazy good deal to me.

Gosh, this game is fun.

I played the first mission in the campaign last night and lost. A friend came over tonight who has played the game a lot and he tutored as I went through the first mission again. This time things went much better. I’m now about four missions into the campaign and really enjoying things. It was tough to stop playing.

That first mission in the campaign was definitely a rough one. Enjoy the game, it is a fun one.

I’m finally starting to play this and an in the first campaign mission - coronation day. I don’t know if I’m just missing something in the UI but is there anything to give you an idea to probable damage? So far the tutorial stuff didn’t tell me what a lot of the options are - targeting parts manually, doing scanning, etc… Do they explain that stuff later and for now I’m just expected to move and attack?

That is a good deal, thanks! I will definitely bite.

[ed]

Aaaaaaaaaand I bit!

The game somewhat relies upon base understanding of the tabletop game (how facing matters, the value and danger of “death from above” attacks, etc.). The damage itself is flat based on weapon type and then modified by coverage/special abilities. It doesn’t give you a pop-up for how much to expect overall, however. The total becomes less important than in most other games, as damage location is king and some shots will miss while others hit.