Batwoman - CW's take on Kate Kane

Alice is absolutely a thing in the comics, and in exactly the same blast-from-the-past way. I bow to your superior wisdom on the actress, but personally I didn’t have any trouble with her in the pilot. Might get better or worse in future episodes, we’ll have to see.

the wife and I were underwhelmed. She said it specifically related to watching the last 2 seasons of Gotham, which we both loved, being compared to this pilot.

Well casting on Gotham was way better than it is for this show. I mean other than Ruby Rose and Dougray Scott, I couldn’t tell you the names of the rest of the cast without looking them up.

Still its only 2 episodes so give it time. Gotham wasn’t that great in season 1.

I think it’s also hard to compare to a show like Gotham because presumably you had multiple seasons to get invested in those characters.

I know what you mean! Would it spoil the fun and thrills in that scene to learn how they did it?

I feel cheated now.

:(

That was amazing!

This must be how they faked the moon landing. :derp:

Charlie Chaplin was in that astronaut suit?!
I knew it!

Oh good, only took 'em three weeks.

Bleh, still too long. But hey, it only took the entire first season for Daredevil to stop looking like a goofy nutter. And it took the entire ten-season run of the series before Clark put on the tights in Smallville.

Agree on the red highlights taking too long to appear. Not impressed by the first two episodes - so much exposition, treading water and flashbacks. The Katy character is just all over the place and the constant voiceover… ugh. Episode 3 has the show beginning to find its footing. Hopefully it keeps improving, though the entire concept of the Crows is still pretty daft, and Alice is a bit too much a female Joker. Hopefully they can develop that character a bit more, because there’s a lot of unanswered questions there.

I think they’re still doing all right with the show in general, but going down memory lane with Alice is getting old. This week’s episode was almost all going over history, bleh. Pretty sure I already knew Alice was pissed off at her dad for not finding her as a kid, I didn’t need another 40 minutes confirming it.

Watched all the way through to episode 8. Have to say that I am less than impressed with it. Alice is just a poor villain - boring, repetitive, and it’s just hard to understand why she’d even be a super-villain. She’s not intelligent or cunning like the Joker, she’s not terrifying, and she has no super-powers. How does she hold her criminal gang together? Who knows - they jump around at the whim of a madwoman just because. Her origin story, in light of real-life events that parallel hers exposed in recent years - is just sad (and still doesn’t explain why she’d go mad). If the “good guys” weren’t stupid, this would probably have been over in episode 2.

Kate Kane herself is… boring. She is constantly outsmarted because she does stupid things - pretty much everyone knows she is Batwoman, because she is apparently that bad at keeping secrets, and those who don’t, really would know if the show didn’t write them to be dumb. Some suspension of disbelief is always necessary in a superhero story, but the level required of this show is on the high end. It doesn’t help that they write the character constantly referring back to her past - including Batman who looms over everything - constantly. Ugh.

To cap it all off, I find the fight scenes pretty terrible too - lacking any sense of tension or x-factor. For some reason, every action scene is submerged in darkness. I’m assuming it’s not to hide the stuntwomen, since she’s in costume, so not sure why - but it just helps make the action even more lacking in clarity and dynamism.

Been trying very hard to like this show, but I think I’m about ready to give up on it. Next episode is the Crisis from Infinite Earth crossover - not sure if that is worth watching (or whether I even have any of the other episodes available). But the main show itself… Batwoman (and the cast) deserved better.

Agree with everything you said. I’m ok with it being boring but the Alice plot annoys the fuck out of me and the tween level forced relationship drama is also wearing me down. Probably the worst DC universe show I’ve seen so far.

You guys aren’t wrong. I’m still watching largely because I’m enough of a comic nerd to enjoy what they’re doing with the characters despite the awful writing. Alice could be a decent Joker-style villain, but this version isn’t convincing. Legends had an unimpressive first season, too, then found its footing after that. Maybe this show can adjust too.

I do like how the Batwoman character is fitting into the crossover thus far, especially the interactions with Supergirl. Gives me hope that someone has some good ideas and may get to put them to use in the show at some point.

This seems a little abrupt.

Well, that’s too bad. I thought Rose did fine in the role. Was great in the Crisis crossover, and did as well as the admittedly mediocre writing allowed in the rest of the series.

So is the show dead in the water now, or will they recast?

Ah ok, TLDR…

But the show will go on: Warner Bros., the studio behind “Batwoman,” and the CW have both committed to creating a second season with a new series lead.

Time to make a wishlist of potential candidates for the role.