Batwoman - CW's take on Kate Kane

I never seem to have enough time to see everything I want on CW

Eh… At least The Cape leaned into its campiness. This is giving me bad Birds of Prey vibes.
And those villains look lame. When are we going to get live-action* Clayface?
*computer-enhanced

Is that the Bat Clutch, where she puts her Bat Lipstick and Bat Blush?

I thought the trailer for this was fine, I mean its the CW. So you sorta know what to expect before clicking play.

The video sure has a lot of thumbs downs.

herniated two discs while performing stunts a couple months ago

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/28/entertainment/ruby-rose-surgery-trnd/index.html

Maybe next time they’ll hire stuntmen instead of using the talent…

Ever since the Matrix (and Cruise’s antics in the MI series), stars have been increasingly performing some of their own (light) stunt work. She probably wanted to do the work herself. You get to see the stars face on camera, so it sells the action.

Hell, there’s a breed of actor who’s wanted to do it since long before. Think of Steve McQueen, for instance.

I hear Buster Keaton was an avid McQueen fan.

Where else would Keaton get half his ideas from? lol

There’s a scene in a Chaplin film where he’s rollerskating and doing tricks backwards on a balcony with no railing. It terrified me watching it.

:shivers:

Well, if literally all Arrowverse shows have taught me anything, it’s RIP, Sophie’s husband, Blandery von Milquetoast. Anyone wanna take bets on him even making it to the season finale?

I will give the show props for peeling off the bandaids of both Batman’s failure to save Kate’s family and the real identity of Alice by the first episode’s end. Those felt like the kinds of things that a CW show would normally drag for ages and ages for bad forced drama, so I’m down for some refreshingly swift pacing.

The action was great, especially once Batgear started getting used. Ruby Rose is cool as shit and I wish she was my best friend. Seriously, what phenomenal casting for the lead. I wasn’t as huge a fan as her dad, but it’s hard to top Best Arrowverse Cop-Dads Poppa Lance and Poppa West, I guess.

Hoping the built in mysteries of stuff like Bruce’s whereabouts, Alice’s backstory, and the seeming success of the Crow’s in the wake of the Bat’s disappearance do go interesting places. But I’m very onboard regardless.

I sure hate to over-hype, but wow, that was a great first episode. Really captured the Gotham “dark, dangerous, and crazy around every corner” feel. If they can keep it going, Batwoman won’t have any trouble holding a spot in the CW-DC-verse.

No kidding, she’s perfect. Hope they let her trick out the batsuit with some cool red highlights like in the comics. So far I like the Luke Fox “Bat-assistant” guy too, hopefully that holds up with further exposure.

You know what this reminds me of…Gotham (the TV show) that ended last year. If this show can pull off the same trick of keeping that dirty-dangerous-crazy vibe going while putting new twists on the Bat-story, it’s going places.

Just wanted to lend my support for the show - watched the pilot last night and really enjoyed it, and @ArmandoPenblade nails what made some of this work - no forced drama or waiting for some of these mysteries, let’s let new mysteries simmer instead as the show bakes.

I assume Blandery von Milquetoast is some sort of villain, honestly. It’s the only way these two love birds can be together without Batwoman breaking a straight woman’s marriage up, after all.

I’ll also join the choir and say I loved the first episode.

My assumption as well; he’s either a villain, toast, or both.

It is often hard to tell with a pilot because the actors typically have not grown into their characters or gelled as an ensemble yet, but I thought it was a decent start. Ruby Rose certainly looks the part (and even has a comic book name), even if her acting is only okay. I hope they have a strong rogue’s gallery of villains to keep things interesting.

Not like “only okay” acting has stopped the CW to date!

Point, Set, Match!

I thought the first episode was good! Like all the CW shows, this one is peak Vancouver Never Plays Itself.

The only thing I didn’t really like was Luke Fox’s gormless role as “Ineffective protector of Batman’s secrets” combined with his role as Professor Exposition. But what can you do.

I was pretty disappointed in her acting, too. But ultimately, who cares? I love looking at her. She’s so goddamn striking. So when she finally shows up in a silly form-fitting batsuit and an even sillier cowl, I was all, like, “noooooo, now I can’t see Ruby Rose!”

They’re not off to a very good start. Is “Alice” really a thing from DC comics? And did they have to get whoever that was to play her?

-Tom