Beer for our troops in Iraq for Super Bowl

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090109/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_super_bowl

I wonder how many troops are actually over 21?

Pretty cool though. Gotta have a cold one for the Super Bowl.

Are US Army bases considered American soil?

Yes, they are, for the most part. There can be some grey areas though. My parents’ neighbor was denied her request for US citizenship because she went with her husband when he was PCS-ed to Germany. They lived on the base, but it didn’t matter, never mind the fact that they have three children, and have been married for over twenty years.

A child that is born on a military base is generally offered citizenship of both countries though.

No, they are not. You’re thinking of embassies.

Anyone in the US military is allowed to drink alcohol while on base, regardless of age.

Nope.

My apologies, in researching further, I was mistaken.

They are not considered US soil. Children born on the base are offered US citizenship through the citizenship of one of their US citizen parents.

God, why do I keep falling into this trap? That should have read, “I was told by a teacher at my crappy public high school that anyone in the US military is allowed to drink alcohol while on base, regardless of age.”

She was correct. MADD had it changed. Now it’s 18+ outside the US, unless local laws prevent it… or the post commander raises it, which they always do.

Then it all worked out.