Below - Action-Adventure Roguelike by Capybara

April 7th for new mode and PS4 release.

Also Discourse search sucks badly.

No kidding, took me ages to find this thread. Yikes.

Anyway, just a reminder this update drops tomorrow (and it hits PS4 tomorrow, too!) and I just saw on Steam the beta for this was available last week so you can opt in right now if you want (at this point I can’t imagine the beta and final release version would be much different). Sounds like Explore mode is a lot more casual (actually, reading one guys take, it sounds like the game before was infuriating and super un-fun, but that’s just my impression reading about the changes).

You guys aren’t fair. I would blame Capybara for picking such a terrible name (for the internet age, at least).

Agreed

I want a game where you assume the role of a capybara, just chilling in water with other animals standing on your head.

Discourse search still sucks (I had to find this thread on Google using site:forum.quartertothree.com “below”), but this hit $10 just now I guess. I’m a little astonished it’s taken this long. This game can’t have been a great seller for them, but they are being very stubborn about the price. I am pretty tempted, but I’ll probably still wait for $5…if that point ever comes.

I got pretty far in this. Once you get to a certain point it just becomes unfun. There’s a series of levels where you have to power through the room as fast as possible to not die to a persistent AoE, which runs contrary to everything you learned in the game up to that point, which is caution and careful exploration.

And if you die, you lose your lantern and have no hope of getting it back because it stays on your corpse. So, clear that section in 1 run or restart, I guess?

I don’t even think this game is worth trying for free, unfortunately. I bought into the “Dark Souls-like” hype, and that the lead dev was a poster on this forum. Or that other one. In reality it’s just obtuse and annoying, and like deliberately smug in its design decisions.

I was really enjoying myself in this game. Made it past the AoE stuff and didn’t let it ruin my fun. Unfortunately I got soft-locked into a place where I was forced to die and lose a bunch of progress, right after making significant new progress. I can’t be bothered to go back and make that progress again, so I haven’t launched it again.

When this game is working - it is very, very good. But it is a highly specific taste, for people who like the oppressive (and tiresome) atmosphere it presents.

Are either of your concerns ameliorated by Explore mode?

I am expecting this game in a humble monthly soon.

I feel like I am one of those people but at this point I am almost afraid to find out. It is now down to $6.24, which is probably cheap enough for me to see. It is such a divisive game, but the good reviews on steam are very good, though everyone acknowledges it can be a frustrating experience. Still hasn’t made it into a Humble Bundle!

Someone has to buy it now, so it shows up in next months Humble Monthly. :D

I just bought it again so I can play it on my laptop, and it’s working it’s magic on me a second time around. I say gamble the six bucks and see if it works for you. Also, wear headphones or use decent speakers. The sound design is awesome.

A mild spoiler to help ease some concerns: A major point of frustration is the amount of progress lost between each failed run. However, if you spend the time investing in opening/learning the shortcuts as you progress, and what resources those shortcut areas provide, this reduces the amount of effort required to get back to your original position dramatically. This is much more important than using the resource stockpiling mechanism, as far as I can tell.

Ugh, my game keeps crashing on floors 14-17. That area is so demanding and requires significant prep work, so to lose it to a crash twice now sucks. This is getting shelved again, or maybe I’ll watch the ending on youtube and hang up my hat.

Did you ever finish @SweetJP ?

Did you try the explore mode, which apparently makes the game less brutal?

No, I haven’t returned since my last attempt, and spoiled myself on the ending. The last third of the game is quite difficult, and makes some big reveals on the nature of the game world that I didn’t care for.

If I tried again, I would use explore mode. But there are some other compelling options in this space like Tunic that I want to check out first.