Best controller for PC

I think the receiver is only $20 or so.

It seems there are multiple vendors making “premium” joysticks this time around other than SCUF, Razer and MS. Turtle Beach, Power A and Thrustmaster made some $100+ controllers.

I’m thinking of getting this.

You guys have me worried about my wired 360 controller eventually failing on PC, even though it shows no signs of it yet. But it is 16 years old now, so maybe it will happen one day.

Also, the Duke is still my favorite controller design in terms of how it feels in my hands.

I frankly didn’t think this was possible for nearly any modern PC. Which MB do you have that doesn’t come with BT?

Regardless, have you considered something like this $10 adapter? Amazon.com

I admittedly haven’t tried it for a controller (since my MB comes with BT), but the reviews seem good.

The BT is laggy. Just get the proprietary MS wireless dongle if you have any plans to use 1st party MS controllers wirelessly.

An MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk!

Loads of desktop mobos don’t have Bluetooth. When I was building my system a couple years back, requiring BT really narrowed my choices, especially sub £200.

I have six Xbox one controllers (actually a couple of them may be series controllers?) all using the special dongle and they have been rock solid for me. I used to use PS4 controllers and these are so much better imo.

So, I am torn between the all singing all dancing and pricey XBox Elite Wireless, and the Xbox series X. The latter is wired - is that the only significant difference?

Elite is more than twice the price…

No back paddles on the Series X controller is the big one. Also it doesn’t have the replaceable D-pad if that matters to you, and generally it feels cheaper. It’s basically the same as the Xbone controller, but the D-pad and triggers feel a little better and it has more textured grips.

Also, neither of them is wired. Unless you connect it via USB, in which case they’re both wired. If you disconnect the USB cord, then they’re both wireless.

the 20th anniversary one is $15 more expensive than the base one and has a grippy coating that is charged extra at the custom colour controller options.

Wait…so why is the Elite so much more then?

PC gamer and several people on this forum seem to swear by it.

I’ve wishlisted it for my birthday/house moving present.

Edit:

Also, I didn’t think it was worth a new thread, but I am curious:

What games do you guys play with your controllers?

I’m thinking of dusting off the Witcher 3, Dishonored 1 etc

Swappable parts. But everyone agrees it breaks easily.

The materials quality is sublime, it feels so good. I’m not sure the sticks are the same sensors as the normal ones, but it they are, they sticks themselves are still improved as they are tension adjustable. There are 4 back buttons that can be re-configured to emulate any other controller button, the triggers are throw adjustable, so you can have a shorter activation distance in games that don’t require full analogue travel. And it is customisable via the xbox accessories app - modify button functions (though still limited to controller buttons, ie no keyboard shortcuts or or macros triggered from a controller button), and fairly robust configuration of stick sensitiviyy and curves. Multiple selecteable profiles which are stored on the controller.

It’s a shame they have the occasional button and sensor hardware issues, because they are a top notch controller until you have an issue.

Note, my v1 is still going strong with no issues. I have 2 v2’s, the first of which has a dodgy A button and I will return, but the 2nd is fine.

Still sticking to my wired old Xbox controller here. I use it for loads of games: indeed the Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, Elden Ring and games like that. But also Xcom2, or Forza. Or Farmer Simulator. Basically, if a game has controller support, I’ll prefer a controller over mouse + keyboard anytime!

Anything that doesn’t obviously play better with M+K/HOTAS really. If it’s not a strategy game or something requiring precision aiming or is just designed for M+K in some way, I’ll often play with a controller. Since the advent of Game Pass I play a lot of those on my Xbox, but looking at my recent Steam list it’s mainly driving games, third person action and platform/puzzlers.

I’d say most anything originally designed for a console.

Sold!!

Or will be in about 3 weeks.

edit:

I needed a web camera, so I was on Amazon anyway…controller arrives tomorrow.

Non-shooter third person action games and racing games, mostly. If I have to aim a gun or if the perspective is 1st person I need M&KB.

Just about anything that allows it. Euro Truck Sim 2 was the game that got me to try a controller and I’ve not looked back. Lately Elden Ring has gotten the most controller time.