Best Dynasty Warriors Type Game?

I’ve never played any of them except for the very first one on PS1. I’ve been meaning to give one a try for awhile, but there are just too many in the series and on top of that are all the clones. It’s been difficult trying to pick one, so which rise above the rest? Are there any that provide a satisfying challenge?

don’t bother with any KOEI’s dynasty warrior, go with Capcom’s Sengoku Basara, it’s way better.

I’m really liking the very recent Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage.

Most fan opinions I have read consider this to be one of the best adaptations of the formula. There are two modes, legend and dream. Legend has smaller groups of enemies, more akin to the source material, while dream, basically the main part of the game, is much more like dynasty warriors.

edit:
There should be a demo up on psn/xbox live. If you do give it a try start with Rei, as his level is a bit of a mini tutorial, while you are immediately dropped into a boss fight with Kenshiro.

A related question, any decent/good one that is on pc?

Warriors Orochi was rather good (and also for the PC.)

It should be clarified: Warriors Orochi is a mashup game between Dynasty Warriors and Samauri Warriors (both by Koei, hence the ability to do it). It’s a two-game series, and if you want to play both then you’ll want it on the 360 or PS3 because the Windows version of 2 is only available on the compilation called Warriors Orochi Z, and that’s only available in Japan (because Koei is annoying as heck).

Giant Bomb has a Quick Look of this.

Ah yes, I totally forgot to link to the quick look, although I would like to mention that the game gets quite a bit faster as your character learns more skills and gets improved stats.

Warriors Orochi 2 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 are the best.

Orochi is a mashup of the Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors games so you get 92 different playable characters. You get to play three at a time, choosing the three before a stage and then switching between the three at will during a stage, and you can level everyone up to 99 as well as spending XP to improve their weapons. It offers five or six difficulty levels and the the harder levels are quite a challenge, though in most cases level grinding will eventually get you through. There’s a ton of content.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 features 66 “suits”, which can be thought of as playable characters even though the game draws a distinction between characters and suits. The lengthy mission mode features semi-randomized missions and this game offers the best graphics and best controls of the series.

Anyone else play Warriors Orochi 3? I bought this during Gamefly’s sale a couple weeks ago and it has blown me away. Just pure awesome. I’m a sucker for time travel stuff and the roster is insane. I’ve used…maybe 10 or so characters so far out of like 130.

I also finally bought Sengoku Basara from Newegg, but I doubt I’ll be getting to it any time soon. Also, barely scratched the surface of Fist of the North Star, and the sequel is coming soon too.

Bladestorm has caught my eye as well. Can I get a yay or nay on that one?

Any other recent ones I should check out?

I really loved Bladestorm and wish there was some kind of sequel to that. Didn’t really care for Fist of the North Star but I’ve been a big sucker for the Warriors Orochi games.

Some people also like the Gundam DW games but I couldn’t really get into them, despite being a giant robot/mech fan.

I buy almost all of this type of games. I would also recommend both Ninety Nine Nights games, but be warned that they are tougher than DW. (Usually when you die in these types of games, you have to replay the stage from the beginning, so keep that in mind.)

Another great often-overlooked series is Kingdom Under Fire for the original Xbox. It is half DW and half strategy game. The first game, Crusaders, is backwards compatible on 360 and should be cheap as chips. It is a doozy. A sequel has been mentioned quite a while ago but word has been scant as of late. Wikipedia says it’s coming out in June of this year, but frankly, I don’t see that happening.

I haven’t played Bladestorm yet, but it seems to have a lot of similarities to KUF.

Bandersnatch, I also picked up WO3 during the Gamefly sale and am also a sucker for time travel stories. So you have it for 360? Would you be interested in doing some co-op?

Hey, thanks for this thread folks. I just got my first PS2 and at the behest of my girlfriend’s sister, snagged a copy of Dynasty Warriors 3, which I’m REALLY digging, so I’d love to play more games of this type. :)

For those who own original the original Xbox 1, Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders and Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes, underrated hack-and-slash + R.T.S. (real time strategy) hybrid games.

According to Wikipedia, Crusaders is back-compatible with Xbox 360 to some extent.

Sure I’m up for some co-op. Add Bandersnatch84.

It’s amazing just how many of them came out on the PS2. After the opening post I was going to get Warriors Orochi 2 for like $30, but then I found a lot on ebay which had:

Dynasty Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors 3 Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4
Dynasty Warriors 4 Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires
Dynasty Warriors 5
Dynasty Warriors 5 Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 6 (360)

All for $65 I think so I snagged that instead. Then there are all the Samurai Warrior games and Devil Kings etc. And Demon Chaos with 65000 onscreen enemies at one time. Crazyness.

Silly Tapatalk made me post twice.

Yeah, it’s been explained to me. Crazy. The next one I want is 5 Empires.

I really liked Bladestorm. You are a squad commander and can take over command of any unit on the battlefield… from light/heavy infantry, archers, knights, horse archers, etc. etc.

The variety of units, rock-paper-scissors-ish combat strategy, and the RPG-like progression was very fun to work with.

The only thing I didn’t like was that it was not clear on how to progress in the story line… So you end up running X number of random missions (sometimes an exhaustive amount) then a story mission pops up.

Lots of new Musou style games came out since the last post in this thread.
Currently I am enjoying Dragon Quest Heroes on PS4

I saw, that there is a Berserk Warriors game. It looks like Koei Tecmo (Omega Force) single-handedly created a videogame genre. Like Fromsoft did with the souls games. Respect.

Now, any fans here who can give recommendations?

There are a lot of licenses that have at least one musou entry, so you can sometimes pick one based on a franchise you like. Do you have a Switch? It’s got Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors. I’ve only played the former, but it’s packed with Fire Emblem fan service. The One Piece series seems to be well-received as well.

Persona 5 Scramble for PS4 and Switch was just released in Japan. No word on a North American release, I don’t think, but maybe imports are a thing on PS4?

I progress so slowly through Fire Emblem Warriors that I’ll probably never need to own another game in the genre, but I’ve grown to like it!