Best place to pick up a PS4 Pro?

I’ve got an original model PS4, it’s my sole gaming machine (I do some strat gaming like the Paragon games and Football Manager 2018 on my laptop - Thinkpad Carbon X1 6th gen - but most of my real gaming is in my console.) I tend to play one game at a time, and they are usually bigger open world RPGs like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Far Crys, Horizon ZD, and now RDR 2.

I’ve just got an itch to upgrade to a PS4 Pro. But when I look on Amazon, the prices are crazy high other than a $400 bundle with RDR2 (which I already have.) Where’s the best place to pick up a PS4 Pro? I’ll be getting rid of my PS4 when I do get a Pro, FWIW.

Thanks

A stand alone PS4 Pro is crazy hard to find, my guess is 99% of their production has been focused on bundles.

If the bundle is the same price as a standalone system. why not grab that and sell the copy of RDR2 to Gamestop? You’ll probably be able to knock another $30 or so off the price.

Not a bad idea, and it looks like the give you about $170 on tradein for a regular PS4, so that may be the easiest way to go.

Don’t forget to play the PT demo before you give up your original PS4.

At least that’s what I keep reminding myself, if I ever trade in my PS4.

The 175 is for trade credit, not cash, but Gamestop has the same bundle at 399, so you ought to get the bundle there.

Yeah, I figure I can get the $399 PS4 Pro bundle for $399 - $175 = $224, that’s a decent price for the Pro.

Now, as to WHY I need a PS4 Pro over my PS4, I’d struggle to tell you. I’m not looking at RDR2 on my standard PS4 and saying “Boy, that sure looks crappy!” ;)

From the Verge:

From the outside, the new CUH-7200 looks almost identical to the previous models of the PS4 Pro — of which, for those keeping track, there have been two. However, the back the bulky three-prong PC-style power connector has been quietly swapped for the same slim, standard figure-eight cable that Sony and Microsoft both currently use for their PS4 Slim and Xbox One S consoles. Although this change doesn’t appear to have made any significant difference to power draw or heat output — suggesting Sony hasn’t yet shrunk the processor — something about the overall revision has resulted in a significant drop in fan noise from between 50 and 55dB for the original PS4 Pro model to between 44 and 48dB for the updated model.

Without ripping apart one of the consoles for ourselves, it’s difficult to know precisely what’s changed. But if you’re already looking to pick up a PS4 Pro this holiday season, this seems to be the model to go for. Unfortunately, it’s not necessarily easy to get one. Digital Foundry discovered that Sony quietly snuck the new PS4 into the Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle (look out for a CUH-7216B on the front of the packaging if you’re interested in that route), but that means buying a copy of a game you might already own. We imagine this revision will quickly become the default console as retailers run through their old stock.

So, they don’t specifically say, but it sounds like the non-pro slim is quieter than the Pro (at least prior to this new model)?

There are surely going to be some killer deals on the PS4 Pro on Black Friday, if you can wait a couple of weeks. That’s how I got mine cheap – even right after launch, with various promos I saved nearly $100 at Target that year.

You could put the money you save towards an Xbox One X, so you could also have the best console for cross-platform games! **

** Not pimping my day job. Just teasing Jeff for traitorously supporting the competition instead of putting food in the mouth of a fellow USM Honors College alumnae’s small child…***

*** Okay, my child is now taller than I am. But the point stands.

:)

Do you remember Stone Chin, who was our PR rep for MS (he worked for, I believe, Edelman?) You’re not quite Stone yet in your ability to sway hardheads like me, LOL! ;)

OT - but when’s the last time you were at USM? It’s changed a lot.

Hah! Yeah, I know Stone well. He’s at Ubisoft now and still as awesome as ever.

I think the last time I was at USM was probably in the mid-late 90s. I hear Hattiesburg isn’t the same place at all.