Best portable mouse or mouselike option for laptop

I’ve got a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen laptop, After my huge Alienware that weighed 100 lbs and had a 15 minute battery life, I love this little machine. in fact, I rarely use my iPad because the Thinkpad is so light and easy to carry around, with pretty decent power for what I do with it.

While I do most of my “hard core” gaming on my PS4/PS5 these days, I do play some things like Crusader Kings 3 and purchased the latest Disco Elysium on Steam. While the “nubbin” and the pad are fine for most things non-gaming, they are a pain for gaming. SO - looking for the best laptop mouse or other option for gaming on my laptop.

The hitch is that I often will have the laptop in “portable” situations while traveling. In the passenger seat of the car, in an airline terminal, on a plane, in a hotel room, etc.

What are the best options?

I got decent* use out of a Logitech M187, which is just a basic mouse in a small ‘mini-mouse’ form factor. Fine for Railroad Empire on the laptop, but I’m not sure it would be great for FPS type games. Have also used wired minimice from the dollar store with laptops, and it’s been fine. It takes a short bit to get used to the small form factor, and it’s not ideal ergonomically, but they’re cheap, small, and I can throw them in my bag without worrying much.

*- edit/add: All the logitech mice I’ve had eventually die from an error where they register click-hold as a double-click. But I think this one lasted a solid year, which is pretty good for me.

MX Anywhere 3 has been great for me.

I’ll check that out. And I’m not going to be using this for any kind of FPS, etc. - my notebook doesn’t have the graphics horsepower for that type of thing. This is for basically strat type games like CK3 and things like Disco Elysium, where having a real mouse for scrolling, etc. is much better than the Thinkpad nubbin or pad.

Logitech is the only one with the infinite scroll wheel and I love that thing.

It kind of depends what you’re looking for in the mouse. If you’ve got small hands, the MX Anywhere may be your best bet. If you have larger hands, then the MX Master is great, but it will take up more space in a bag. Both of them have tech that Logitech claims helps tracking on arbitrary surfaces - I’ve certainly never had an issue using them on eg the sofa. The newer models can do Bluetooth as well, so you don’t need a dongle to use with a laptop (or you can use them wired if you prefer). It sounds like a full on gaming mouse would be overkill for your needs.

Yeah, you’re spot on. I don’t need a full gaming mouse. I’m going to order the MX Anywhere.

Thanks!

if you get the white one, note carefully there is a mac and windows edition.

mac edition does not come with a receiver and comes with a c to c charge cable.
windows edition comes with receiver and comes with an a to c charge cable.

Got the “graphite” one, looks like it’s the Windows version.

Bingo. Can’t live without it.