Best song remakes

The other thread is depressing. This is a much better idea!

A great cover of a great original song: Mad World by Gary Jules (youtube). Really shows you how to take a song and make it your own, rather than just paying respect to the original artist.

Neither the original or cover is very well known outside of Australia, but The Herd did a fantastic cover of I Was Only Nineteen (audio download).

And of course, William Shatner - Common People (youtube). I’m not sure if this belongs here or in the “Worst” thread.

I kinda like Ministry’s cover of Lay Lady Lay.

Or The Melvins doing Going Blind by Kiss.

The Electric Hellfire made some pretty funny covers. Like Killing An Arab.

Eels have done some great ones, most notably Girl From the North Country and I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man.

Ben Folds’s version of Bitches Ain’t Shit is a classic.

I nominate this thread for “Best Thread Remakes”.

Oh, and I vote for pretty much the entire “Garage Days E.P.” by Metallica from the 80’s (or most the second disc of Garage Inc from the 90’s except for the Motorhead stuff).

I agree completely, since this time around, songs can be illustrated with youtube links.

Sorry for that one. How about Robert Palmer’s Mercy Mercy Me / I Want You medley?

You also have to exclude that god-awful cover of “Loverman”. It was just embarrassing.

Yea, Loverman was on the first disc, I only included the second if people look at the Garage Inc 2-disc compilation that includes the original 9.98 ep from the 80’s.

Their cover of “Whiskey in the Jar” was fucking woeful as well.

Cash’s cover of I See a Darkness is amazing.

Hey it’s this thread again. I’ll give my standard reply of Huskur Du’s cover of Eight Miles High

Thom Yorke covers Miracle Legion’s “All For The Best” for a benefit for Mark Mulcahy. The original is brilliant, but the cover manages to surprise.

My vote today goes to the Antipodean contingent for the Doug Anthony All-Stars’ covers of “Heard It Through The Grapevine” and their version of Hunters and Collectors’ “Throw Your Arms Around Me”.

I keep forgetting that Marvin Gaye wasn’t the original singer of “Heard It Through The Grapevine” either. I think it was a Smokey Robinson song originally. Marvin made it into a classic MoTown hit that’s still a somewhat upbeat “My woman done me wrong” tune - but the DAAS version turns around and makes it so hauntingly bitter that it puts a new spin on the tune. One of my all-time favorite covers.

I’ve been listening to this True Faith remake a lot.

Please do not show that to me at this point in time.

Ok. Hows about tomorrow?

Does Richard Cheese’s body of work count?

It definitely belongs in “Best”. It’s always amazes me how much the tone of the song completely changes with the same lyrics just by putting William Shatner on vocals. He does a really great job of delivering the lines. “watching ROACHES climb the wall!!!”.

Fiona Apple - Across the Universe is one of my favorite covers… better than the original, in my opinion.

Everyone knows the best cover is the Who’s version of Young Man Blues, then The Beatles Twist and shout followed by the first two Led Zeppelin albums.
I really dig the “Mad World” cover, very haunting and incredible.

I have a weird liking for Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb. The original is one of my favorite songs ever, but this one’s so over the top and silly it’s like… It’s the wrong album, but imagine the Dark Side of the Moon cover, but painted on black velvet and for sale at a flea market.