Best thing to eat before day of hard physical labor?

I either feel like I ate a rock or have a massive sugar crash from eating the wrong thing before going out to work. Any suggestions? Need something that will last as many hours as possible so I don’t get interrupted by my stomach.

I hammer a big bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch before doing yard work , but 3-4 hours after eating it, it will do its thing. So… be prepared.

On a similar theme, big bowl of oatmeal (made with milk & raisins).

If you’re used to fewer carbs (but not no carbs): bacon, eggs & toast.

Obviously that’s only what’s worked for me.

Depends. My typical daily breakfast is either yogurt with granola, or is oatmeal.

However when I am planning g a big day of activity, I’m talking climbing a mountain, I dice and roast some potatoes with onion, Italian seasonings and some cheese. Then I make two eggs, over easy, mix them in the potatoes with hot sauce. It’ll get me through those 10+ mile hikes no problem.

Good ideas thanks!

Full English.

Don’t athletes carb-load before they perform? That would seem to be the logical approach. Solid stuff, not liquids. But keep a lot of water handy. Oh, and potassium and calcium. Probably bananas.

That’s what I thought too, but I didn’t know how far in advance that they carb load.

Usually a few days. If you’re doing this same-day, you won’t have the opportunity to carb-load so eat normal but nothing heavy (no spaghetti, for instance). Note, if you are carb loading, you reduce fats and replace them with carbs for this.

Yeah, you need the carbs the day or two before to get the full benefit.

Also, before you do strenuous things, drink lots of water. You need it in you BEFORE you go do the work. This is also true for ahtletics. You can’t get it back fast enough once you’re losing it.

Honestly carb loading is for shorter duration high intensity activity. For longer duration lower intensity you want more protein and fat. Proteins and fats help your body fuel itself for hours longer than pure carbs.

Which is why whole grain breads are superior to white breads for endurance activity. Whole grain oats bear instant oatmeal, and a muffin does far less good than some yogurt with fruit.

A bowl of sugary cereal will give you the immediate hit, but after a few hours you’ll need more. Raisin Bran is a decent choice for cereal, but really if you are thinking some long term activity then cereal isn’t the ideal choice. But if it’s that or fruit loops, well, it’s not even close.

But really you need to think more protein. For long activities few things beat eggs for breakfast. Eggs and toast with cheese is a near ideal mix, if you don’t like my potato skillet idea.

I mean that breakfast is my traditional hiking breakfast, and I’ll eat it and not be hungry for 6 hours, despite climbing a literal mountain.

…the above is perfect for a long day of normal activity. @CraigM is right. When we go to Indianapolis for the 500, we’re walking a ton and out in the sun all day. We need that “big breakfast” and then the rest of the day is just kind of keeping up with what’s being burned up. Breakfast is damn important no matter what you’re doing.

I’m thinking Grape Nuts for the cereal.