Best thing you'll see all week: Mom and Dad

All is not well among the comfortably affluent!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/01/22/best-thing-youll-see-week-mom-dad/

So you would recommend The Babysitter? (Mom and Dad is going on the list too but I don’t think it’s on Netflix.)

I would. It’s not amazing or anything but it was solid, and has some great moments.

Also: on Mom and Dad being good: yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss so happy. By the way @tomchick I agree - the biggest problem with Cage is how directors use him. He’s been great in some things - e.g. Raising Arizona, or as I would argue Snake Eyes (and there are others, just naming two). He’s been a fine action star type in other things. And he’s been completely ludicrous to awful in things, sometimes perhaps deliberately (e.g. Ghost Rider 2 or Drive angry), and sometimes because of ego and a director who was fumbling or any number of things (Captain Corelli’s mandolin).

But when he’s properly channeled he’s a huge amount of fun. I cannot wait to see this.

Fans of crazy Cage should be sure to check out Vampire’s Kiss and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. Grade A Prime Nic.

Nick Cage is fucking awful in everything.

Especially Adaptation. He’s the worst in that!

-Tom

It’s got a very particular, uh, sense of humor. But even if it’s not your bag, Samara Weaving is really good.

-Tom

I saw this yesterday.

Some of my favorite bits:

• The opening credits. Brilliant. Just brilliant.
  • There were some musical transitions and scene-setting scenes with music that were just mesmerizing.
  • I loved that I hated the daughter. It made it so that later in the movie I didn’t know who to root for.

Unfortunately, I didn’t really enjoy the end much. All those beautiful music transitions were dropped in favor of abrupt scene-cuts and harsh electronic music near the end of the movie.

Best. Alphabet. Recital. Ever.

I’m pleasantly surprised this is good. Like the reception to his movies many describe, I am very hot and cold on Cage movies. Didn’t he do a “Left Behind” movie? For me, that’s almost unforgivable, but you gotta pay those tax bills.

Now what’s this then? More well reviewed “Crazy” Cage so close together?

Mandy

Do they Save the World?

Another solid recommendation. It was a really interesting twist on a genre that I thought had been done to death.

Uh…what?

This was delightful.