Best Tower Defense game?

I have heard some great talk about tower defense games – and trust me the smart AI in the forums is telling me there are some old threads.

But is there a really good classic Tower defense Game? Newish?

I recall my old Warzone 2100 (or I think?) days and that almost amounted to tower defense in an rts. Perhaps we should revisit this topic. Though I have no pride –

It’s not really my genre, but I do know that Gemcraft - Chasing Shadows is quite popular around the forum.

I’m partial to the first Defense Grid and Unstoppable Gorg. Prime World Defenders was something I spent a lot of time with too.

I would read through this thread:

It is where all the Tower Defense people live on QT3 : )

I would agree with @robc04 that Defense Grid 1 would be a great starting point; the original Plants and Zombies game as well. Dungeon Warfare was popular this year with many on the forum too.

Orcs Must Die 1 & 2 were alot of fun combining TD with some first person shooting. In particular Orcs Must Die 2 was fun to play in co-op. I would stay away from the latest Orc Must Die Unchained which is their lastest version and unfortunately was made FTP and does not appear to be well received.

I am currently working through Gemcraft Chasing Shadows and I would personally suggest that it not be the one to start with, as it can be quite complicated.

I played this alot too but I can not say I enjoyed it the way i did DG1 & 2. Why did you like it?

I agree that I didn’t like it as much as Defense Grid 1, or Unstoppable Gorg. It’s been a while, but I think I liked the sense of progression with using the cards to get and upgrade the towers.

Start with Defense Grid 1, then 2

Thank you all very much! I am looking into Defense Grid now! Thanks.

If you do want to get a taste of Gemcraft, start with the [original] (chapter 1). There’s actually 4; there’s a prequel and a sideways, uh, well whatever a “related game that’s not a direct sequel but isn’t a prequel” is (this being Labyrinth). The original’s strategic/campaign layer is rather simple and the progression mechanics there are also somewhat basic. It’s really Labyrinth and Chasing Shadows where the creators start going completely apeshit on that front (I love both, mind you).

(http://www.kongregate.com/games/gameinabottle/gemcraft?acomplete=gemcraft).