Bethesda E3 Conference

Power armor modification? Reminded me of Mech Warrior.

Also, here’s hoping that the loot is a good as it looks.

That was a helluva release date reveal.

November 10, 2015. Wow.

Fallout 4 looks amazing.

Well. You can still see the old Fallout 3 engine feel, but they’ve really thrown everything in there. The full weapon and armor customization and Minecraft / Dwarf Fortress outpost construction is a big surprise.

Bethesda.net though? Yeesh. Everyone wants their own social hub and client.

They’re big enough now, I guess. They’ve got Blizzard money.

Hope they don’t make another Uplay.

Makes me wish I owned an apple device. That actually looked pretty neat.

The Fallout 4 presentation really impressed me. Building up your own settlements, modifying your weapons and power armor was all well beyond what I’d imagined for the game.

Also, going back to Doom, they really seem to have captured the feel of what’s fun about Doom. I’m still fresh off playing Doom 2 for the Qt3 Classic Game Club, and this Doom really captures the feel of that game well.

I can only listen to console conferences for 30 seconds at a time because they are so cheesy and awkward. This one was a lot more tolerable. There’s a nice feeling in the room when developers show off the things they’ve been working on to audience members that are genuinely excited to be there, and no one has to rush to the next D-list celebrity, lame joke, or boring trailer.

The only thing about Doom that was kind of messing it for me was the almost literal loot pinatas that happened whenever he killed something. It looked kind of silly.

I’ll be the judge of that!!

Some details:

1. There is a huge crafting system in the game. Weapons are totally build-able and modular. There are 50 weapon types with 700 different modification available. You can build a laser pistol, then modify it into a laser rifle, laser shotgun, laser sniper, etc. The guns look really cool, much better than in previous games.

2. You can also do the same with armor, it’s totally modular. You can wear a breastplate with nothing on the arms, or add armor for your arms and legs. Even power armor is modular and can be crafted.

3. Did I say there was crafting? Well, you can build, modify and furnish your own house. Not only that can you can build a settlement that will attract farmers, traders, etc. And of course you’ll have to build defenses because of those pesky raiders.

The game will be out 11/10/2015.

Some details on Fallout:

1. There is a huge crafting system in the game. Weapons are totally build-able and modular. There are 50 weapon types with 700 different modification available. You can build a laser pistol, then modify it into a laser rifle, laser shotgun, laser sniper, etc. The guns look really cool, much better than in previous games.

2. You can also do the same with armor, it’s totally modular. You can wear a breastplate with nothing on the arms, or add armor for your arms and legs. Even power armor is modular and can be crafted.

3. Did I say there was crafting? Well, you can build, modify and furnish your own house. Not only that can you can build a settlement that will attract farmers, traders, etc. And of course you’ll have to build defenses because of those pesky raiders.

The game will be out 11/10/2015.

The long demo kind of helped with that. I got used to the constant harvesting of enemies for health, and the loot pinata part.

I also loved the weapon wheel approach to changing weapons, with the world going into super slow motion while you do that. In the second demo where they were showing hell, I loved that the presenter who did the demo was constantly switching back and forth so quickly between appropriate weapons. I loved that part.

I also found it kind of cool that they’re already starting with mentioning mods and giving you kind of a Horde mode and other modes for multiplayer right out of the game.

November 10th is a good target date to clear my backlog. Let’s do it!

There was no skills tab on the pipboy. THERE WAS NO SKILLS TAB ON THE PIPBOY.

LIGHT THE TORCHES

GRAB THE PITCHFORKS

You have to go through Bethesda.net to access that.

And more info. Paused on the stats as he flipped over them. Intelligence just increases XP gain, no mention of skills, and luck “Influences the recharge rate of critical hits”.

That’s pretty goddamn bad. I’m still looking forward to Open World Minecraft And Borderlands Plus Mods but no fucking skills.

No skills in the character creation they went through either.

The settlement creation stuff looked cool, but I’m not going to get excited until they start showing the stuff I actually care about in Fallout. Things like the dialogue and quests with multiple solutions. All the stuff that doesn’t make for good trailers.

I still wish it was an Obsidian project.

…and nary a peep to say “Guy, mods will be free. Sorry for that thing earlier this year.”

I just realized it’s going to feed right into the Minecrafting. There will be so much content on there.

Sooo… what’s up with the skills? Have they done away with putting points into stuff to be able to do it properly?