Bethesda secures rights to Star Trek games (PSP/DS!)

Full details here

Juicy quote:
“Bethesda Softworks® today announced it has secured the rights from CBS Consumer Products to publish a series of Star Trek games on all gaming consoles, handhelds and PCs. Bethesda has two titles slated for release this year to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the epic series – Star Trek®: Legacy for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC, and Star Trek®: Tactical Assault for Nintendo DS™ and Sony PSP™ (PlayStation® Portable). Bethesda’s rights cover the entire Star Trek series and are exclusive to all consoles, handhelds, and the PC.”

I am all for some tactical games on the PSP but the Star Trek franchise seems like a weird fit. I know there was a ST FPS that got pretty good reviews on the PC a while back (I never played it myself), but to me that series has always been about adventure, exploration, and diplomacy.

I wish they’d make a Starflight/Star Control 2 rpg lite type game set in the Star Trek Universe for DS.

Does this mean further delay for Fallout 3?

If it is as sad as the portable elder scrolls thing, forget it. it was crap.

Okay, well, ST:Legacy is for the PC.

Hmm, I wonder how they’ll be making a Star Trek game. Although I suppose having just a few planets to explore makes more sense in Star Trek then it does in other games… or maybe it will be Mournhold style where you can only explore a small region of a planet?

I don’t think these games have anything to do w/ exploring planets. I don’t think they’ll be anything like the Elder Scrolls games, if that’s what you’re thinking…

Bethesda are publishing these games, not developing them.

Legacy is being done by Mad Doc Software (who did Star Trek: Armada 2 and Empire Earth 2) and Tactical Assault is being done by Quicksilver (lololmoo3).

Maybe it’s an indication of the devaluing of the licence, but it’s good to see that Paramount/CBS is no longer trying to split the licence into specific shows/eras. It made no sense to deny a game developer access to the entire ST canon.

Also, I’d love to see a Starflight-type game on the DS. I’d say an actual Starflight game, but I’m sure EA won’t revive that IP, not sexxy enough.

This is kind of a bizarre deal. Unless Bethesda can get these games developed on the (super) cheap, I don’t understand how they plan on making money with this. Star Trek is a pretty dead license (i.e. I don’t see a Star Trek game selling a million copies now), yet any games they put out will have AAA quality expectations on them…because, well, it’s Star Trek!

That just means their first game should be in the Voyagerverse.

On the contrary, the star trek branding is incredibly valuable. It just isn’t powerful enough to make fans buy a dozen really bad games in a row. But really, what is? Even star wars can’t do that.

Having a Star Trek name will certainly make me take a closer look at the title, even if it will be with a more discerning eye (due to past crap-fests). And for me, I don’t know if I’d even give the title a closer look without the Star Trek name. I’m not exactly proud of that, but that is the reality of it. I just don’t scour gaming rags like I used to.

Read about Legacy in the latest game informer last night, which had some pretty solid-looking screenshots. I actually think it sounds pretty sweet. The only downside I can see is that it’s almost entirely Starfleet-focused (yeah, like that’s never been done before) but at least they let you play as different races in multiplayer. The idea of controlling a Borg fleet is one of those things you dream about.

Keep in mind that Legacy is being done by Mad Doc, who did Armada II, a similar game to what Legacy sounds like and if I remember correctly was pretty well received.

That means this new game looks to be an evolution of that game, and should hopefully be even better.

I’m hoping for a game that will tread between the timelines, like how some of the books do.

Quicksilver still exists? You’d think they’d change the name at least.