Better Call Saul

I was behind you all the way, JD!

I came this close to making fun of you guys for thinking that guy was just a smuggler. I considered writing something along the lines of “maybe Better Call Saul is too subtle for you”, but decided not to because a) that’s kind of a dick thing to say, and b) boy would have I looked silly if you guys were right. Phew. Dodged that bullet!

-Tom

I would hope that the Cartels would avoid hiring secretive assassins who drive 18 wheelers to their hits.

Filled with ninjas.

Ok spill the beans, is it a relative or a friend that works on the show? You just swapped drugs for cash to keep your friend from getting outed.
Silly me, I just thought Mike was a making an irrigation strip for the garden.

Pretty sure if Mike had caught him headed north he’d have found drugs. He only got cash because the driver was headed back to Mexico.

Plus he only had use for the cash.

But his hubris in splashing some cash and buying a round on the house is going to come back on him right? That’ll be the last time Mike get’s sloppy… well, until a few years down the road with a certain cancer-stricken high school chemistry teacher. And his guy inside the Tio/Nacho cartel made a point of telling Mike he’s off their radar. Mike’s retort is those guys aren’t half as smart as they think they are. So I figure that’s the next twist in the tale. If only he’d offed the driver, right? Love the bit about that being exactly how Tio dealt with the good Samaritan.

Is this the origin of “no half measures” then, given he realizes he actually should have killed the driver? I assume the horror on his face is the realization he is responsible for the “samaritan” getting killed. I further suspect THAT action, Hector killing the guy that found the driver and helped him, is what puts Hector in a wheel chair.

Chuck’s head hitting the counter sure was shocking.

As to Mike’s spending the cash at the bar, he HAS to know that will come back to bite him.

That was my takeaway as well. Mike is far too intelligent to get himself in trouble (until he meets Walt, that is), but as with his son, his own actions/life can often blow back on others.

My assumption at the time was that he was intentionally drawing attention to himself, but it didn’t come to anything at the time and I don’t know what his endgame would be. If it was just a celebration, it seems oddly reckless for him.

I figured this was the origin of a more ruthless Mike, I do wonder if we will see Hector in a wheel chair by the end of the season.

I too interpreted Mike buying everyone a drink as a calculated move to draw attention. Given how carefully planned everything was up to that point.

But it was fascinating to see how all of this didn’t work out as intended. No police action. And not only did someone die - it was an innocent person. It’s also telling and somehow ‘un-Mike’ that he got so angered to begin with by getting strongarmed by Hector and having to recant his statement to the police. Maybe it was them threatening his granddaughter (pool scene) that pushed him.

Haha, this made me snort.

So I had to wait until I could see the last episode to look at this thread.

I loved Kim shooting Chuck down. I loved it that she stood up for Jimmy with facts, where Chuck had none. But as much as I loved her brushing off Chuck’s indictment of Jimmy, I LOVED it even more that she slugged Jimmy in the car on the way home with the boxes.

Kim is no fool.

And then she put that little worm in Jimmy’s ear without ever having acknowledged to him that she knew. It’s just such great character work. Good writing, good acting. So believable.

Nothing Kim said was untrue. Nothing Chuck said was untrue. I just loved seeing Chuck get the shitty end of the stick this time. And then he had to fall and hit his head in the copy shop. Remember when Chuck said no one cried harder than Jimmy at the father’s funeral? It’s going to be the same for Jimmy with Chuck, I fear.

I did too, but then I didn’t know what to think of it. Still don’t. Speaking of not knowing what to make of something, did that waitress hit on Mike? It’s just so rare to see Mike crack a grin.

Girl should get an Emmy for that one scene alone

Anybody else get a vibe while Kim was dressing down Chuck in defense of Jimmy that both Chuck and Kim knew that the next thing out of her mouth might be along the lines of “… and this coming from a guy who rocks an aluminum blanket and lives in fear of electricity?” and there was a long, pregnant pause? If so it was great that they left that unsaid; that would have been a low blow and Kim is classy in her own way.

I’m in the camp that we saw Mike get sloppy. Sloppy and weak. The relishing his victory so much that he had to show off and buy a round for the house was just sloppy. But his realization that he left a trail that led right to him. And all he had to do was whack a guy who is up to his eyeballs in the drug trade. And for his sins the good Samaritan got it instead. That revealed his weakness.

Really enjoyed the second season but seriously disliked the finale. It’s almost like the writers were building up towards something to be resolved or at least teased this season and decided to delay any kind of resolution until next year. Such a disappointment.

P.S. After watching Talking Saul, the hinted-at author of the note on Mike’s car does make things a little more interesting. Still, a boring episode with zero plot or character development.

Yeah, really disappointing after last season’s tidy arc. Jimmy’s confession was way more interesting than any sort of legal fallout Chuck can inflict. Are we supposed to be excited about whether felony charges will be brought against him? I love the legal procedural stuff as a backdrop, but I don’t want it to turn into a legal procedural.

Who was the hinted at author of the note on Saul’s car? The guy who sold him the gun? Who else knew he was out there? And so much for the second season’s titles being an anagram of Gus Fring’s name. Unless that’s the hint, in which case, that’s a pretty crappy excuse for a hint.

-Tom

The suggestion was that Fring may have written the note.