Better Call Saul

Now this is a fine holiday present.

Looking forward to it.

Great, binged watched this over the last few days and made it just in time. I loved it so much–the character relationships with Chuck and Kim were realized amazingly. I loved how episodes kinda carried over from one to the next, with some reoccurring themes and neutral areas (like the parking garage at HHM). Seems like the creators have been fairly secretive about how much will link up with BB or in modern times–there’s just one scene in Nebraaska in S1–but it should be interesting to see what else they will do.

— Alan

OMG thanks for the tip, very cool!

It is almost bizzare how good this spin off is, but then I remember Gilligan is also behind it.

Looking forward to some chimp-with-machinegun antics.

Aaargh, too much good TV on right now. Can’t keep up.

The S2 opener was amazing, filled with great little details that make BB/BCS such well-crafted shows.

I think it’s a testament to the show’s quality that I find it legitimately hard to watch–I want so much for Jimmy to succeed and be happy, but knowing where things end up for him…

Well, “hard to watch” was kind of a major feature of Breaking Bad, so it’s not a surprise that that applies to this show as well.

I did not find Breaking Bad hard to watch. It was so carefully orchestrated to always offer someone just a bit more evil and diabolical than Walter. I was cheering for Walt all the way to the end. Okay, maybe there were times when I doubted my allegiance (kidnapping the baby, letting the girl choke, gut shooting Mike!), but the charm of the show was how difficult it was to turn away.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the first episode of BCS, so I’m not even sure why I’m in this thread. See ya for now!

What a great episode. I love how careful and patient the storytelling is in Better Call Saul. Kim and Jimmy are two of the best characters in television history.

@Tim
BB was excellent, must see television, don’t get me wrong, and I too was rooting for WW all the way, albeit reluctantly sometimes. What was hard to watch about it was the slow-motion train wreck aspect of his arc, and that he had a couple of chances to escape it, but was always done in by his need to prove himself the smartest guy in the room.

I’m kind of bummed he hooked up with Kim. I liked so much the ambiguity of their relationship last season. Now it’s on pretty well-trod ground with less potential for interesting developments.

Otherwise, great season opener. It makes me want to watch season one all over again while I’m waiting for the next episode. I can’t think of many (any?) TV shows willing to savor details like the “do not turn off” switch moment.

-Tom

Yes indeed!

And, for those of you who might see some of your questions answered, there’s a new talk show “Talking Saul”, with Gilligan, Odenkirk et al, hosted by Chris Hardwick that follows each episode. While I liked it (what I watched of it), I think I’m finding I don’t want to know how the sausage is made!

Jumping back in without reading to say I’m up through episode 8 of season one. I like this television program.

I believe that “Talking Saul” only follows the premiere and the finale this year.

I got more of a “friends w/benefits” vibe than a romantic one. I think the actor playing Kim mentioned that they had had a 10 year relationship prior to hooking up and that there were plenty of depths to plumb.

Wonderful return of the show - I simply enjoy how everything is written and directed. I love the little moments such as Jimmy feeling obliged to use the ‘forbidden’ switch in his new office just for the sake of it, and I’m always satisfied with the actors they pick for smaller roles, e.g. the two cops investigating the burglary.

Bonus: Netflix has a deal with AMC through which each episode is being available over here the day after its US debut. Very much appreciated.

I do love this show, thanks to Odenkirk & the writers, despite having not watched more than half of Breaking Bad.

I almost lost faith and thought the show jumped the shark this episode. Jimmy returning to the pool and flailing at Kim over the phone, to return for more shenanigans just seemed like too big a fall. Jimmy’s been such a smart, introspective & industrious character, I wasn’t buying the ‘time to look out for number one’ characterization. I can’t believe he’d imagine for more than a fleeting moment that Kim would join him for lives as grifters. That was just dumb.

They quickly turned it around, w/ Jimmy at the schmancy law firm. While he seems to have self-serving and oblique plans aside from cashing in at the big firm, that’s more credible than the sudden fall from a cliff it looked like he was taking.