Between Two Ferns, with Zach Galifianakis

Part 2: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f8242b3b15/between-two-ferns-oscar-buzz-edition-part-2

Ugh. Just ugh. All that talent and the only humor they can manage is in the subtitles? These used to be great (hereand here, for instance).

-Tom

Zach is too skinny now to be funny!

Zach has an extra special guest between the ferns today.

Published March 11, 2014 8.7m views

Nice move by the Presidential marketing department.

That was quite good. Obama has better comedic chops than I gave him credit for, and they let Zach say some pretty surprising things. Whoever is designing the campaign to get young people to sign up for the ACA deserves serious props for creativity.

Yeah, that was some really good stuff there.

“Shh. Shh.”

That took me aback momentarily. Unexpectedly transgressive, and I’m not entirely sure why.

I think part of it is the Colbert approach. Everyone knows Zach plays an absolute jerk in these bits, so if it’s the jerk who’s saying horrible things, then the horrible things are discredited by association. The other part is that it’s hilarious.

Also the number one referrer to healthcare.gov today.

Ten million views and climbing fast. It’s a juggernaut.

That was funny and pretty much in keeping with the series. I loved the last black president line and the question about where his presidential library would be located. Not a fan of Obama or Obamacare but that was a smart move for him.

Kinda weird feeling to see a thread created by jerri_blank pop up.

What if they stretched the premise out to feature length?

Netflix, why ruin a good thing?

Ah, I think it’ll be funny. The ‘plot’ will assuredly be dumb, but it’ll stitch together more interviews, which could be great. Same director, Scott Aukerman, who directed the short eps. I’ve also got soft spots for Ryan Gaul and especially Lauren Lapkus, who appear to be in the crew.

OK, this was pretty cringey from a narrative standpoint, but I ended up watching it almost three times.

That said, if you can’t sit through the ‘plot’, the end credit outtakes are worth the price of admission.

Apparently they’ll be releasing a number of the extended interviews as stand-alone videos, so it’s got that going for it as well.

Yea the movie itself was bad. One of the most glaring issues is the interviews were so short there was nothing funny about them. The outtakes were 100x better than anything in the movie.