Big brother helps you be an overprotective parent

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050529/ap_on_he_me/fit_lunch_spying

I can’t believe my daughter was drinking extra juice!

Mary Carol Eddleman looked into what her daughter at a Hoschton middle school was buying and found she was getting an extra 12-ounce can of juice each day, even when a four-ounce bottle of juice came with lunch.

“That’s about 150 extra calories a day. It’s one thing if she did it occasionally, but she was getting in the habit of buying it every single day on top of lunch because her friends are drinking it,” Eddleman said. “They drink it down like a Coke.”

Eddleman talked to her daughter, who has since switched to buying a bottle of water instead.

Who the hell married/impregnated this bitch?

I don’t know, what’s wrong with the system? Juice actually is on par with soda in terms of sugar content, and drinking a can of it with lunch every day isn’t healthy. Presumably this woman limits her daughter’s juice/soda intake at home, so why not at school? Same goes for chips, cookies, and whatnot. If a parent gives their child lunch money with the expectation that they’ll take it and eat at least a decently healthy meal, and they end up with a bag of chips and a cookie and two cans of Coke, why shouldn’t they know about it?

10 dollars says when this girl becomes a teenager she develops an eating disorder.

Good idea, but predictably it’ll be used mostly by obsessive compulsives.

Maybe they should also get this underwear onto their daughters, just to be %100 sure that nothing is awry.
http://forgetmenotpanties.contagiousmedia.org/

Boy, this would have made my teenage years even more entertaining. Parents bitching about an extra daily 12 ounces of JUICE? Who are these people?

God help this poor kid.

Yeah, god forbid it’s fucking juice. I knew kids who had nasty knives and guns on them or in their car at high school. But god, musn’t have that fucking extra juice.

Oh man this must be an anti-technology article. My high school had one of those and my parents never cared what I bought for lunch, all I knew was that they could put enough money onto my lunch account so I would never have to run out of cash and ask people around to borrow some money.

It’s like a debit card… except for lunch :)

For me personally, it’s the fact that it undermines the concept of school as a means to gradually wean children away from relying completely on their parents for every decision they make.

Isn’t there something to be said about allowing children opportunities to make their own decisions, even the wrong decisions, as a learning opportunity?

What’s going to happen to the girl in that article when she goes off to college and doesn’t have mom watching over her diet every day, let alone all the academic decisions a freshman must make?

hah, very sneaky. “dad, where did my college fund go? and why is there a battery in these new underwear you bought me?”

For me personally, it’s the fact that it undermines the concept of school as a means to gradually wean children away from relying completely on their parents for every decision they make.

Isn’t there something to be said about allowing children opportunities to make their own decisions, even the wrong decisions, as a learning opportunity?

What’s going to happen to the girl in that article when she goes off to college and doesn’t have mom watching over her diet every day, let alone all the academic decisions a freshman must make?[/quote]

She’ll hopefully have learned good nutrition from her parent’s guidance?

What’s going to happen to the girl in that article when she goes off to college and doesn’t have mom watching over her diet every day, let alone all the academic decisions a freshman must make?[/quote]

She’ll hopefully have learned good nutrition from her parent’s guidance?[/quote]

Why not just have a government database tracking how much you eat and how much you exercise and if you’re weight is getting out of hand the USDA storm troopers come to your door and take you to a weight re-education camp?

Why not write up a ludicrousy extrapolated hypothetical?

For me personally, it’s the fact that it undermines the concept of school as a means to gradually wean children away from relying completely on their parents for every decision they make.[/quote]

Is that what eighth grade is traditionally for?

At 150 extra calories per day at school, that girl can expect to add on a pound of juice-instigated flab every 1.5 months. That’s like 6 pounds per school year! No middle school child should be allowed to grow that much!

Won’t all you cynical QT3ers think of the children?

The best part of this thread is to see that the same people saying that parental notification of 14 year olds about what they eat for lunch are the ones who say it’s a bad idea to notify them about their daughters abortion.

Also how willing are they to support the sale of this information to companies that want to market to this age group. Which I’m sure will happen if it hasn’t already.

We had a similar thing to this when I went to school. That is to say, I’d tell my mother what I ate and she didn’t give a shit.

To quote George Carlin (from ‘Kids and Parents’) “If you wanna know how you can help your children? Leave them the fuck alone .”

Also - from the article.

“Now you can buy french fries, chips and a Coke and it’s called lunch.”

Two potato meals? Ludicrous!.

Good point. Except there’s little in common between opposing notification requirements due to family abuse scenarios and a history of school lunch purposes, unless there’s a lot of family abuse going on with food I haven’t heard about.

Ever get hit with a turkey leg?

Its not as delicious as it sounds!