Biomutant tells a cautionary tale about cleaning up your own mess

LOL - that’s pretty hilarious. I agree that the voiceover seems quite wasteful; snark would have maybe been appreciated if done well, but a “translation” is very weaksauce. I mean, I have always been perfectly fine with Pikmin language and reading the associated blurbs, so why this step?

I just played a bit to the bit where it starts to open up. There’s settings to be able to skip the dialog. And sound settings for both the narrator and the gibberish. I might just turn one or another of them down to zero.

By the way, on that note, this game has settings for everything. Fully remappable controls. Audio settings for each separate thing (music, background, sfx, narrator, gibberish, erc). FOV slider. Pretty much anything you can think of.

With Tom’s comments about not noticing elemental effects, weapon scaling, etc., I’m playing on Hard. I’m hoping that’ll help with those things, but it’ll proba ly just turn the enemies into bullet sponges.

As I said a couple of times during the stream, I’m a systems guy in the end. I love learning, mastering, and playing with interacting gameplay systems. I need that to keep me invested in a game, to pull me through it. And as I think you can tell in my review, my main problem with Biomutant is that the systems are junk. But I can completely understand that someone who just wants to explore a weird and colorful open world might groove on Biomutant.

It really is awkward, but there’s a way around it. If you go into the audio options and turn down the speech slider, you will never hear the narrator. You’ll still hear the animal talk, which is controlled with a separate slider called gibberish. Also, make sure the subtitles are on.

Now you’ll just hear the animal gibberish, and it will be followed by a subtitle of what the narrator would have said, which was his translation of the animal. It works much better this way and it doesn’t throw up a wall of overlapping spoken and written verbiage.

-Tom

Not sure if that’s enough to get me to reinstall, honestly, but at least that option is there. Ugh.

I saw what you did there :)

First two paragraphs I’m thinking, “Wow Tom got me interested in this game which I’d previously ignored. Might have to get it!”

Halfway through third paragraph. “The positive sine wave seems to be reversing direction.”

Remaining review, “The sine wave cratered and broke through the bottom of the chart. Not going to even entertain the thought of getting this.”

Oh, I think your review was excellent and the playthrough was great; your point of watching a playthrough vs. just reading a review for purchasing decisions makes a ton of sense, as well. I’m hoping the game fits a niche for me as I like what I see, but I’m always wary of my way of getting distracted by anything new and shiny; eventually the sheen wears off.

1. So far this is the worst tutorial I’ve ever been exposed too. Some info gets repeated for no discernable reason and most of the modals are 2-3 weirdly spawned dialogs in a row (the size and location of tutorial modals is variable, which is obnoxious).

2. This is also the worst dialog system I have ever seen. I already turned off the narrator which sort of helped but didn’t entirely fix things.

This might have been my Left Alive purchase for the year, if there weren’t so many other things I want to buy right now. I preordered SMT3: Nocturne and plan on buying Ratchet and Clank next month, and have the final version of Solasta to play as well. If this had been a dry part of the year I definitely would have thrown away $60 just to check this out.

It works pretty well, I’d say. Despite the negative reviews, it got 55K CCU on Steam.
https://i.imgur.com/omy8QEY.png

Yes, this is what i was thinking when I saw the videos of gameplay, and it struck me as exactly that… just incredibly slow and tedious.

I bet that’s patchable into something more acceptable.

I forgot someone clipped when I just gave up this morning.

Hahaha. This looks like an early access release.

Oh I forgot about the Quicktime events. QUICKTIME EVENTS. IN 2021. GAH.

You were kicking that walls ass @BrianRubin !

The game was telling me I had to punch through it and I spent several minutes trying to do just that.

You have to hold down the button to charge up your punch.

-Tom

LOL…that was a place I wasn’t even trying to punch and It came down without me even thinking about it. The dialogue is just awful and melee seems terrible with not a lot of real feedback and heftiness to it. Oh well, my kid is enjoying the exploration…at least one of us likes it.

Gah I thought that’s what I was doing.