Bioshock Infinite

Alright. The word is finally out on the newest game from Irrational; Bioshock Infinite. It should probably have a dedicated thread of its own, one with the name in the title.

(Sorry if you were spoilered by the thread title, but this is the internet after all. I waited hours before posting this thread. In web time, that is practically eons.)

Anyway, here is the thread.

If you’d like to catch yourself up to the discussion, the thread on the return of Irrational (and the release of BI) is here.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd… discuss!

~mink~

I will certainly return to this thread in 15 months or so, but in the meantime, thank you for making a thread with a decent title for this thing.

“Infinite” is an adjective. Bioshock Infinite what?

The setting looks good, the name is dumb. I also hope that it is not in the same universe as Rapture as that in a way will dull the accomplishment of building Rapture within that games universe. I mean if they were building these flying cities in the early 1900s then building Rapture in the 1950s (or thereabouts) is not that big a deal.

Yes, agreed.

Agreed.

Or to use my own words, I hope this is a spiritual successor in the guise of a direct successor. Normally people beg for the other way around.

Bioshock: Infinite Bioshocks

Do we really need a thread if the game is still TWO YEARS AWAY? If they already had the shroud of secrecy going, why reveal the game when you’re not even close to finishing it yet? Sigh.

Maybe Irrational wants to distance itself from XCOM. Maybe they want to be transparent about their development.

Anyways, if BioShock is influenced by Brazil and BioShock Infinity is influenced The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, does that mean BioShock Forever will be influenced by The Fisher King?

Infinite refers to Bioshock, similar to Don Juan Triumphant.

Infinite BioShock would be a better title.

Better to announce and then push out the date for years and years.

SIGH

I really do hope they change the name of the game by the time of release. Slim chance but it has happened. In other words this thread will become obsolete prompting a new thread when the game ships!

It’s the Blizzard strategy, reveal a game then release it 3-5 years later.

No, I think this is good. I look forward to the thread being resurrected a few times after the game is released, and with luck we’ll still be posting in it in 2018.

If it’s really release in 3-5, we could still be posting here in 2020+, which would be awesome.

I saw some City of Lost Children in Bioshock.

For some reason the trailer didn’t do anything for me. While I should be excited about a very different type of setting, it just… maybe it’s the ‘Bioshock’ part of the title, I don’t know.

Still, basically nothing is known about the game. Maybe it’ll be awesome. When I’m an old man, maybe I’ll be able to find out.

Not to go all HRose, but I called the sky city thing as a sequel setting back around the time of BioShock 1’s release. I thought it would be communism-themed, but turn-of-the-century industrialist-capitalism is cool, too.