BioShock

I don’t know what that screenshot is - the console version? Here is the PC version options menu.

There are fewer options because all the options like shadow mapping in the original are always set to ON now, though I think I read you can modify them to be turned off through ini file edits. I can’t imagine who would need to do that. Someone that can only just barely run BioShock?

The more egregious issue here is the lack of a way to skip the intro videos. I’m off to try and rename video files!

By the way, the game looks great, I put just a few minutes in so far but it’s been a lovely reason to return to Rapture so far.

See you… floating!

I’m pretty sure that’s the Bioshock 2 graphics options screen.

But this is the BioShock thread!?

I’m just sayin’! I didn’t post the screenshot!

Maybe @Telefrog could add some context to his post then. Confusing…

Wendelius

I tried them both.

Bioshock remastered runs fine for me at my max resolution (1920x1080) with Anti-Aliasing and V-Sync on.

Bioshock 2 remastered runs at 1280x720 and in windowed mode. The option for other resolutions is there, but when I change the resolution and hit apply or if stay at 720p but try turning off windowed mode, the game crashes instantly.

BioShock 2 PC graphics options (with a controller plugged in).

RPS has posted fixes for some of the commonly reported issues with the first remaster: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/16/bioshock-remastered-fixes/

Most involve .ini file edits.

Wendelius

I didn’t see this mentioned in that article (thanks for that link, @Wendelius, I’m starting to think I really hate mouse acceleration as every time I disable it I have a better experience, going back years now, and I developers would stop forcing it on us) but I did manage to disable the intro video by renaming a single video file in the directory (I can’t remember the path, you can Google it or find it pretty easy just drilling into the app folder).

I think you can also add -nointro to the launch options (I did both and it worked, so now I’m not sure which one did the trick).

@Telefrog Thanks for clearing that up, I thought you meant the first BioShock and was confused why your config looked different than mine - even so, it’s really strange and dumb for BioShock 2 to have fewer options than BioShock!

Especially when it is the better game.

I cannot argue with that, though I’m going through the first one … er, first, because it’s been a long time and I don’t remember a lot of the middle and end-game. We’ll see how far I get. This right-click to toggle between weapon and plasmid is just an incredibly strange design choice. I remember being the most excited for having dual weapon/plasmids in B2, and rightly so it turned out. Also, while I know some folks didn’t get into them, I loved the tower defense sequences and got a little thrill each time I saw one coming up! Such a cool way to reward tactical play and using all your resources for these just intense battles! I also never played Minerva’s Den, which I heard was amazing, despite buying it at some point.

I don’t think I’ll beat Bioshock, but I will play it a bit this weekend and see how it goes before I drop it for BioShock 2.

Me too for exactly those reasons! You may get a kick out of the Protector Trials DLC that comes bundled with the collection/remaster. They’re really challenging but mix things up enough to get you playing in different ways.

I don’t want to hype it up too much but OH MY GOD ;-) Bioshock 2 is my favourite of the Bioshocks and Minerva’s Den is arguably the highlight of it. Too few played it, no doubt a product of GFWL. I’m jealous, enjoy!

PC patch coming for the remaster.

[quote]
We’re looking to address:

General Mouse Fixes, including better Mouse Smoothing, Sensitivity and Acceleration Options in BioShock;
Additional Speaker Mode Options in Audio Settings in BioShock;
Improved FoV Slider Options in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
Support for 21:9 display ratios in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
General stability improvement to reduce instances of game crashes.[/quote]

Aww, man, now I have to wait to play it. Again!

-Tom

I’m so glad that GFWL had just been removed when I played Bioshock 2. Yes, Minerva’s Den was the best part of it.

Can anyone comment on the current state of the remaster?

2K unveiled the name of their new Novato-based studio that’s helming the next Bioshock game, Cloud Chamber Studios. Apparently, there was an earlier effort underway at Certain Affinity a few years ago that ended up getting scrapped.

So what are we thinking, underground this time around?

What if they take a risk and go for the boring option of having it on the land? That fits nicely between the sea and the sky!

I’m pretty sure it’s just gonna be Rapture again.