Black Friday software deals

The entire Topaz Labs suite is on sale, but if you just need something for photos, Gigapixel AI is the shit. It continues to floor me with how it can blow a picture up to twice the size while also making it twice as sharp. I got it at $100 and it was worth every penny. You can get it for $50.

So you’re saying zoom in on the reflection in the window, zoom, zoom, enhance, reverse, that’s our perp! is a real thing now?

It’s not that good. But I’ve lost count at how many times I’ve inputted a photo and gone, 'that’s goddamn voodoo" when I see the results. A 1200x1900 photo becomes 2400x3800, and all the softness and fuzziness is gone. The image is so sharp it could cut glass.

All your experience is that when you blow up a photo it becomes blockier and pixelated, so to have the exact opposite happen is ridiculous.

Move your money to Wealthsimple. Get the new iPhone!

Register and get the new iPhone when you transfer or deposit $100,000+ for iPhone 15 or $200,000+ for iPhone 15 Pro, now until December 15th.

Sharpen AI can also be really useful. For instance, if you have a very high res SLR shot of an animal that is slightly blurry, Gigapixel AI can’t help you as there’s no point blowing up 2x-4x an already huge image. Sharpen AI is great for these situations and works really well in my limited experience of wildlife photography.

The video one I tried awhile back and it didn’t really impress me then. Hopefully it is much better now than before.

Serif’s Adobe killers added on sale

Unraid’s Cyber Weekend sale is underway. 10% off a license and 20% off upgrades for an existing license. Unraid’s one of the better options out there to run your own NAS/home server setup.

Been using Unraid at home since 2008. Love it.

Per their T&C page, only legal residents of Canada are eligible.

All of the Topaz products sound the same. What’s the difference between Photo AI, Gigapixel AI, and Sharpen AI?

Try this:

PhotoAI is the bundle of all of those.

Gigapixel, Sharpen, and Denoise are all earlier products that basically no longer get support/new AI models. They bundled them together into Photo AI, except… I did a lot of testing between trial versions of Photo AI and Gigapixel AI, and I consistently got superior results a lot easier with the latter. And I’m not the only one; lots of people on the TopazAI subreddit have noted the same.

Plus, it was less expensive since it was a stand-alone app and not a bundle.

You get a lifetime license for each application. But you only get new AI models for a year. Again, not big an issue because Gigapixel AI is amazing as it is, and hard to see it improving all that much.

They could do that 15 years ago. The bar now should be way higher

How? I only see bundles for sale, no way to just buy Giga for $50.

I see your CSI sucks and raise you

Ooops, I was signed in so I was looking at an upgrade price for a year more of AI model support. So I guess the only way you can save is by buying a bundle.

I love that that video is in 240p.