Black Ops Cold War is the next Call of Duty

Looks great! I can’t wait to play the first original SP campaign from Raven Software in a decade!

Wow! I didn’t know the roles had reversed for this campaign! Now I’m super hype! Raven’s Soldier of Fortune games were awesome and they can definitely do justice to a “modern” warfare type game. I mean… forty years ago is a long time, but this will still feel more modern than WWII for sure.

Damn! I’m probably going to pre-order the Cross Generation edition now. They’re charging $10 extra if you get it for PS4 with the PS5 version in the deal so that’s going to be my plan. I definitely want to play the Betas again. I really enjoyed that with Modern Warfare.

The in-game event for this was very cool. Whether you watch me playing it or someone else, you really should. It was slick. I figured they would make a major map change to Verdansk after it happened, but apparently that didn’t occur yet. I can easily see that being something closer to launch.

@Telefrog, I think you can update the thread title from “could be” to “is”. :)

Call of Duty: Reagan Ops

I guess this is what AAA titles are spending the next-gen horsepower on?

My new TV from last holiday season supports it. Very much looking forward to seeing this game on PS5.

My next TV is definitely going to have to support 120Hz at 4K (HDMI 2.1). So far we have DiRT 5 that will support it, Cold War, Halo Infinite (multiplayer), Ori and the Will of the Wisp, Gears 5, ExoMecha, Metal: Hellsinger, Orphan of the Machine, Second Extinction.

I found the comments ripping this up more entertaining than the article basically just acting like an advertisement for it:

Call of Duty has never been shy about being controversial. I’m just here for the spy stuff and solid gameplay.

Multiplayer reveal was today at 1PM Eastern and lots of streamers are playing it now.

This is clearly the Black Ops IIII engine upgraded for modern hardware in the mulitplayer modes. It is not at all the Modern Warfare level of interaction, level detail, and gameplay. For me, that’s disappointing, so I’m hoping the single player portion is as good as Raven’s past output.

I’ll certainly still be playing it both ways, but I expected a lot more from multiplayer than a reversion to what they did before. Watching Jackfrags, he basically confirms it’s all very much scaled back from what we got in MW. I think that’s a mistake, but maybe all they could do given the pandemic?

“A new zombies experience!”

Shows same old CoD zombie horde gameplay.

I suck at these games and still made it to 25 in the beta. This will be my primary first week game on PS5. Can’t wait for the silly as hell single player campaign: Reagan and Redford Wooo :p

It’s a Raven-made campaign. It could be one of the best of the year tbh. I’m most excited for that and I love the multiplayer in these games.

I was a big fan of Quake 4’s campaign, but after that they did Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Xmen Origins: Wolverine, Wolfenstein (2009) and Singularity. I played each of those briefly and didn’t enjoy them. Were you a fan of those four games, or are you thinking more about their older games?

Singularity was really cool! What didn’t you like about it?

It just felt really rote. I thought it was a lot like a lot of other shooters at the time, and I was just bored by it.

Maybe it’s aged well. I should go back and play it now. Back in that era there were so many first person shooter campaigns, you needed to do something special to stand out. Nowadays there’s hardly any each year.

Didn’t Singularity have time travel? Tough crowd!

Yes, and you use time manipulation for both combat and puzzle solving.

IGN has a wonderful interview with Raven studio cofounder Brian Raffel, which includes some reminiscing about meeting the id guys for the first time and being blown away by their office having a fax machine and lots of soft drinks. Before the studio started he was a high school track coach and art teacher who had never left the state. With his brother they realized their computer art efforts they made for their classes was competitive with other games and decided to see if they could get a publisher on board with a demo. Given how tumultuous the industry keeping a studio running for 30 years is quite a feat.

There’s also a new PC-specific trailer showing off all the awesome bells and whistles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQKpaiEpsko

Various PC specs for game.

PC specs sure have got more detailed.