Black Summer - Netflix, Jaime King, rage zombies

I have mixed feelings about this season—some very positive, some very negative—but on very different critical grounds. The show has often struck me as experimental, almost auteurist, in its preoccupations. At the very least it seems keenly self-aware of its position within the growing zombie-media ecosystem and interested in upturning many of its established conventions. This is borne out very generally I think in how the plotting and characterization and the setting are often radically stripped down to their basic forms: which—when effective—both lets the showrunners pack a lot of content into a handful of episodes and lets them focus a lot more on the cinematic viscerality—the intrinsic action or suspense—of whatever situation they’ve concocted. Almost every Ep in S1 is structured around a dominant theme or technical preoccupation, and most of the screen time is made up of people doing instead of people talking: the multiple perspectives in e1, the dynamics of ‘survival’ on the road in e2, the mystery of the school in e3, the plight of being alone and incompetent in e4, the in-group/out-group dynamics in e5, etc. This is all a deadly takedown, I think, of the staid conventionalism and comic book dramatic logic that suffuses so much of the Walking Dead.

S2, I think, carries forward this same overall stripped down quality, and technical-directorial disposition, but its thematic preoccupations have somewhat shifted. There is the same playing around with multiple perspectives and temporalities from S1—the by now established technical trick of ‘hiding the plot.’ But more significant is the elaboration of the show’s thematic preoccupation with the Hobbesian state of nature, the absolute dog-eat-dog world it thinks that the apocalypse would quickly come down to. At a high level, the staging of the plot around the airstrip is deviously clever: there is a very dark irony to how hope—supplies and escape—lead to complete mayhem and suffering as people climb over each other for safety. At a lower level, the absolute precarity of the situation, the utter transience of social bonds, is manifested in the ceaseless betrayal, slaughter, turnabout of the people, gangs, leaders, that populate so much of the season. This is again where I think the series is experimental/auteurist in a kind of daring way: It refuses to spend time with most of these people; it provides only the barest of characterizations; loyalties are picked up and dropped almost instantly; it isn’t even always clear why people are or aren’t fighting each other. It’s deeply alienating—but that’s also kind of the point? This living hell is punctuated by fragile moments of more deeply wrought humanity that I think the actors behind Rose and Spears and Sun very much live up to. I found the contrast—the danger of their situation(s), and their (very different) traumatized responses—very fraught and effective.

The season is looser for sure. Fewer episodes work on their own terms. Some episodes seem to be full of non-events, or fake-outs, or plot-sequences that go nowhere. The most charitable defense is that this is a stripped down depiction of the totality of human experience within the Hobbesian state of nature, which each episode now provides in fragments: chance, random violence, constant paranoia, occasional tedium, which are occasionally broken up by moments of great positive significance. The least charitable defense is that the showrunners now have fewer ideas for what each specific episode should be about.

Some of the looseness—longer sequences of relatively minor events; more attention to the smallness of people on the landscape—I actually liked. It gave more naturalistic weight to the world; lessened the feeling of moment to moment plot artifice; and I could never find it truly tedious because of how the characters have been generally less protected.

BIG FLAWS: The continual resort to stupid contrivances to move the plot forward! So infuriating when there is so much around these contrivances that is justifiably very good. People going out alone—against all sense—to be picked off. Convergences too coincidental and double crosses too spontaneous to be believed. Cruelty—murdering strangers—in keeping with the high level theme of the state of nature but often terribly stupid and senseless in the moment. The first half of the season is organized around the ‘puzzle’ of reconstructing the mayhem of the manor-house; but a lot of the conflict is too contrived—esp E3—for me to entirely buy into. The last Ep had two or three very bad plot contrivances—in the turnaround between different groups—that especially spoiled my overall impression of the season. I’m not sure how I would restructure the finale but I think it was fundamentally a missed opportunity: a failure to bring a lot of the season’s preoccupations to a head.

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Zane0 — their last post was 9 years ago.

Whoah! Welcome back!

Has it been that long? Sheesh…

Dude, Zane, please jump into more game/movie/TV show discussions. What an excellent post!

Very well put, especially as a way to contrast this season with last season. In fact, you’ve convinced me I’m probably going to enjoy season two a lot more when I get around to watching it a second time.

Spoilers about the final episode obviously, but:

I was so disappointed with how they resolved the tease at the beginning of the final episode, with the cop character bloody and beaten and bitter, almost certainly on the verge of murdering someone for ruining everything for everyone. But then it turns out that Sun got away just fine, Spears wasn’t even involved at this point, and Rose and her daughter were free to continue having adventures cloaked in their inviolable plot armor. It was everything right about Black Summer’s structure – OMG, how did it come to this? – until it actually got around to pulling the curtain back from its “hide the plot” technical trick you talked about. At which point it was everything wrong with season two.

But you’re absolutely right about this season leaning into Hobbesian brutality, which was such a contrast to the first season’s finale of people coming together, almost literally emerging from the woodwork, desperate to help each other, but being overwhelmed anyway because the situation was just that hopeless.

(Which is why I’m especially bummed that season two decided Rose actually found her daughter at the stadium. So dumb!)

-Tom

Thank you, I really appreciate it. :) I have a lot of respect for your own body of writing on modern zombie media: the work you’ve done to identify—help me to identify—how it can best be appreciated. So I’m really happy if I can at least somewhat return the favour: adding to the stock of critical tools that identifies how this genre can work and what it is capable of. I am the slave to a very inconstant spark of inspiration so we’ll see when it strikes next.

Yeah. The cop—officer Ray Nazeri—is a quietly effective character that we learn a lot about through the very sparse and compressed but very important information that we receive (shown not told). He’s important, I think, to what the season is ultimately about, and I don’t feel that we ultimately see enough of him. A large part of this ultimate meaning has probably to do with how the differences between the various survivors are more a matter of degrees than of kind. All the major characters—Rose, Spears, Sun—are animated by the meaning they still find in living. Nazeri might have been too. But because of his very bad luck, of already losing everything he cares about, Nazeri—as he chillingly announces—is already dead. He has no good larger than himself to pursue, no higher end to truly achieve. His body is just going through the motions: protecting and perpetuating itself in the manner it was trained to do. It’s part of the show’s quite astute psychological grasp of how the ‘heroes’ and ‘villains’ are little more than similar people created by different circumstances. If she ever lost Anna, but somehow managed to keep on going, Rose would become something close to Nazeri.

How do zombies work in Black Summer? Why is it “Lemons” zombie can hurl itself through walls and doors and “Manor” zombie can’t break glass?

My 2 cents soon. I was about to write this off as literally the worst zombie show/movie of all time. But I keep watching.

I wish i was a director in this for those ten minute shots of rivers and scenery and some guy struggling.

But I love me some lemon. Lemme get into season 2 (not that my 2 cents is worth even 2 cents)

Oh wow I just noticed the above, Well I cannot let actual good critics affect my opinion… I must stay the course.

Orald i think that is one unique thing in this show --the zombies are real dangerous killers. They move fast, they kill --even one of them vs. 5 people. Head shots do the trick but … if there is a strength in this show its a real fear of the zombies. Plus the reincarnate. (We oughta have a system with checkboxes on zombie shows movies… to explain objectively like “fast” vs " slow" and live people who die are now zombies etc.)

Lance’s superpower when he was alive was escaping against all odds. When he’s undead, his superpower is inverted so that no one can escape him, even if he has to crash through doors and walls.

Does that work…?

Really, though, it was just John Hyams doing his usual bad-ass action choreography.

-Tom

Wow I totally missed season 2 coming out. Just started.

Is this the guy in Season 1 with a single, no dialogue episode of him being chased by a lone zombie? That was a great episode which I still remember, but did not associate the face/name to the same guy in Season 2. Now I know!

Yep, that’s Lance. You might also recall season one ends with him running down the street being chased by a mob of zombies. I think he also gets separated from everyone in the episode with the booby-trapped school, but then he ends up randomly running into Jaime King during the nightclub heist. I was glad season two gave him such a memorable send-off.

-Tom

So, this is really good? I am a not very good at watching zombie series, but I do like them. I find them sometimes too gory for my tastes - We struggled with season 2 of Dead Walking but this seems kinda interesting.
Oh - but we do love silly zombie movies like that new Zak Snyder one in Las Vegas so, there is that.

I just finished Ep 5, White Horse, which was the best ep so far. I wouldn’t call the season uneven, and I am enjoying it (indeed, at one point I thought to myself “holy shit is episode 1 really long, what is going on?” and I was at the start of ep 3, so I’ve certainly been drawn in. Outside of ep 5 (which is a nice breather, and a steady, linear narrative), the jumping around is occasionally disorienting to the point where I start to loose track of some of the faces and where things fit in the narrative so far. Indeed, I am not clear on what the narrative is other than “just fucking survive”, but I think that’s part of the point.

The two big gun battles were amazing. Absolute chaos, made morso by the clever direction. The, uh, cop’s group still feels mostly faceless to me, which is sort of weird because they’re basically the biggest antagonists at this point (the other main set of antagonists was very well done though).

There are a couple of character moments that I wasn’t sure made full sense (although I can see the justification).

Once more into the breach.

I thought Season 1 was one of the best seasons of TV I’ve ever seen. YMMV of course. It does get
slightly gross on occasion, but not too bad. It’s superbly directed and acted, and its my favorite depiction of “the fall” that I’ve seen in tv/movie or book format. While it’s not shy about being ugly (in terms of humanity turning on itself/etc) and everything is done in a way that’s oppressively/despair inducting, there are threads of hope in the storytelling that really make it all work.

I can’t speak to season 2 yet, as I’m not done. Regardless of what qualms I have, it remains superbly directed and acted.

Thank you sir!

Actually, I decided to try it out, and REALLY enjoyed the first season. So much that I actually saw it all over the course of a week, which is rare for me. It was really nice that it wasn’t as intensely gory as some other zombie shows, and the people weren’t killing machines and expert marksmen.

It was also all very interesting, that no-one was trying to “figure it all out” and/or “Save the world”.

I’ve seen 7 episodes of season 2 as well, and while its changed a bit, I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Anyways - thanks for the feedback, and I really liked the show!

I just saw this - what an amazing scene! I actually sat up in my chair, and laughed with …well, anxiety I guess? Awesome!

I want Mance in my party.

I hate this show. I watched all of it, and I hate it.

1. Some of the premises are so stupid. Why is a school full of kids hyper-competent at capturing survivors and zombies, to the point where like a week after the outbreak they have full on thunderdome? Yet everyone else sucks, as mentioned up thread.
  2. Later on they get to the drug/rape party. I don’t remember those characters from the diner ever saying they were part of a gang. Yet suddenly they are. Maybe I missed it because I kept scrolling my phone because this show is so painfully slow to get anywhere.
  3. Stupid premises: Why did those fuckers drag that whole crate up a hill? Where the fuck were they even going with it? Let’s drag this to god-knows-where, in the most difficult manner possible, so we can divide the loot. Why not divide the loot right there? Or, if they really had to move it somewhere else (because reasons), why not take the small crates out and carry them? They had fucking handles!
    OR! Take the small crates out, carry them up the hill because it’s easy, move the big empty crate now that is is not heavy, then put it all back in!
  4. Why were the militias fighting and then why did they team up? Who gives a shit really. They were nothing characters with no motivation beyond being zombies with guns. They’re so careful and shit and then they just throw each other into a gunfight with zero regard for the lives of their squad. And when your squaddie dies they become a fast zombie so it’s DOUBLY STUPID to kill someone.
  5. Why is there only 1 house in all of, I assume, Canada? Why is everyone fighting over it? Just go to a different house!
  6. Back to season 1. What was that gang’s plan, to make heroin and party and fuck? Why?
  7. I don’t know any character’s name except Sun and Spears, because they make a point of it.

And on and on. This show sucks, I’m sorry I watched it, and I don’t get it at all.

The good:

1. The main char, the mom, turned into a stone cold killer and she did a good job portraying that.
  2. The episode with the dude from Spear’s neighborhood. This some white people shit. Brilliant. This whole dumb show is some white people shit. Of course, did he die or not we have no idea.

I’m okay with this. It’s the end of the world, so I assume some fuckers are going to just roll with it and decide to do the most hedonistic shit possible.

Yeah, this was ultra-dumb. The guy said something about taking it over the ridge to divide it up fairly, or “you could stuff your pockets full now and only get a couple days worth of supplies” and I thought, but the inner boxes have handles. Just divide it up and walk away with a box each. I have no clue why transporting it up the hill would increase their shares.

I still don’t understand why Nazeri wanted to keep Sun as a prisoner so badly. He didn’t give a shit about his own team. Why was he so intent on keeping Sun?

Still, I love the action set-piece direction and I thought Spears’ arc was good. I’m in for another season if they make one.

I completely forgot about how dumb this was, too. I just assumed she had plot armor. Or he had an asian fetish and wanted slave. What is that dude’s plan, be king of the wasteland? He sure throws out his allies pretty quick. He’s also an idiot.

They come to the crate and the 3 other survivors. They have long arms with scopes. The others have a shotgun and a revolver. Back off, let them start looting, and take them out from range. These are the tactical experts. How the hell did they get jumped by survivors in an open snowfield anyway? Situational awareness, fuckhead.

This show is phenomenally dumb and I normally don’t let stuff like this bother me.