Blaseball, *the* Fantasy baseball simulator, emphasis on the Fantasy

@SweetJP mentioned Blaseball in the Little Indie Games thread a while back, but I know that there are a lot of baseball fans on the site, since we trend older.

Boomers, gen X, and fellow geezers, Blaseball is not for you.

Well, it might be for you, if you’ve ever read a recap of someone else’s OOTP dynasty.

Or it might be for you if you’ve ever daydreamed about the personality traits and hidden grievances of an 8-bit sprite.

Or it might be for you if you’ve ever wondered what baseball with four strikes would be like, or five bases, or umpires that semi-randomly incinerate the players.

It can be played as a text-based personal min-maxing game, a discord-and twitter-based community role-playing game, or just enjoyed as a multimedia art project (and it probably lends itself most to the last).

Blaseball!

What do sports fans love? Power rankings.

You want pseudo-Yahtzee commentary? You got it.

You want a Wired article on viral text-based games? Coming right up.

Every time I see “Fantasy” sports, I get disappointed I’m expecting Wizard Quarterbacks, Thief Receivers, Cleric Pitchers, Paladin Catchers.

I’ve only casually viewed form the sidelines, but I feel like you’re failing to sell the pitch of blaseball. I’ve heard Blaseball described as basically an improv Yes-and game development, exemplified by the Jaylen HotdogFingers saga.

At the Season 1 Election Results, Hotdogfingers became the first Blaseball player ever incinerated, as well as the only player ever incinerated outside of an active game. This incineration occurred due to The Forbidden Book opening by Decree. Hotdogfingers was seemingly chosen at random, as no part of the decree indicates that it would directly target the Garages or their best pitcher.

That’s just part 1.

Until they make the baseball equivalent of Blood Bowl, Blaseball’s as close as you can get. I mean, there’s no limit to how you picture the players.

Upon obtaining 87 fingers, Patterson developed the ability to apply four-dimensional spin to the ball.

You can’t convince me Blaseball wasn’t invented by Jon Bois.

Right? I was hoping for the baseball equivalent of BloodBowl here. Weak sauce.

As I reply to this, your avatar is next to the thread, and I am convinced they misspelled “blearnsball”

Blaseball is fine - I was a Moist Talker for a couple very early seasons - but I didn’t find enough to it to hold my attention.

There wasn’t enough interaction/impact on the performance of the team and while games were being played chat moved too fast to meaningfully interact with the other viewers.

I’ve been waiting a decade for someone to turn his endurance football into a game. His subsequent multimedia projects make said game’s non-existence hurt all the more.

This sums up my feelings toward it. I do enjoy reading about the various happenings (when they happen), but the game itself is very meh.

Now see, I’d be all over that. For the uninitiated:

That was amazing. I really should watch more Futurama.

That reminded me of this:

This just happened to me, and I blame geggis, for posting in here - i’d have never thought he would have posted in a standard fantasy Baseball thread.
Fiddlesticks!

Neither would I! Any baseball thread for that matter!

I got sucked into Blaseball after hearing the saga of Jaylen Hotdogfingers recounted on the Giant Bomb GOTY deliberations. And I’ve now managed to spread it on to three of my coworkers. One of them supports the Mexico City Wild Wings, and it was a lot of fun texting back and forth during their championship run against the Canada Moist Talkers this weekend.

And so far, my Seattle Garages seem to be emulating the experience of being a Mariners fan.

Thinking of your wizard ace, whose heater is a fireball.

Crabs fan here.

I mean, there is necromancy, incinerations, a shadow realm, and vengeful elder peanut gods. Then again, I don’t follow regular baseball too closely so I can’t say for sure they’re not just regular fixtures in the sport.

I started in Season 15 after hearing about Blaseball on the Effectively Wild podcast. I picked Seattle knowing nothing about the Garages but figured they could not be worse than the actual Mariners.

They are so much worse. It is going to take a decade of Party Time to get back to par.

I love Blaseball for stuff like this:

Note The Steakhouse, in the second column. Home of the Dallas Steaks and the following fanart.

I dunno, as I age I appreciate more whimsy. Blaseball!

I love reading about this; thanks to those posting :)