Blizzard gambles that you will gamble on Heroes of the Storm 2.0

Blizzard is bringing big changes to Heroes of the Storm. The new initiative, dubbed Heroes of the Storm 2.0, features a new reward system with Overwatch-style loot chests, a new currency, more cosmetic items, and level caps are being removed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/03/29/blizzard-gambles-will-gamble-heroes-storm-2-0/

This is a good change. The current rewards mechanisms in Heroes discourage you from trying new heroes as often.

Blizzard hasn’t really had any great ideas about what to do with this game since day 1, which is a shame since I honestly like it. I still play a few games a night.

I play on the regs lately too. Game is really easy to pick up for a MOBA noob. Not to mention finding Players vs Bot matches is really easy, and a good way to learn mechanics.

It’s not only noob friendly, I think the mechanics and design are mostly smarter than LoL or Dota. However, Blizzard is Blizzard and all the goofiness probably turns off some of the other MOBA players.

If it turns off the hardcore toxic players, then I’m fine with that. Nothing torpedoes a match quicker than a toxic player. I’m very rarely on a team that wins with a one.

I will not rest until I have the Brightwing announcer pack.

I didn’t encounter any fewer toxic players than any other MOBA.

The thing about HotS is that at first glance it seems way more casual friendly, but after you play it for a while you realize it heavily amplifies the genre’s biggest flaw: a single bad player disproportionally drags their whole team down.

In most MOBAs, you can someone mitigate this by carrying your team.

In HotS, there really isn’t any carrying. Everyone levels up equally and there’s no gold farming. It’s possible to split push in LoL while the rest of your team stalls with a man down. HotS? You have to jump on the objective fights and if you’re one man down you’re screwed. And there’s always one guy who thinks it’s a typical MOBA who thinks he’s going to split push farm all game. I’m not exaggerating that 2/3rds of my losses was when I had a Gazlowe or Abathur on my team.

Overwatch has completely replaced all MOBAs for me. No creeps. No gold. No items. No levels. No snowballing. “Farming” is limited to ult charge. You can carry if a teammate is underperforming.