Blood on the Clocktower Game 4 [Complete]

Rest assured, I also am not sure what is going on.

Things that are always true.

Lantz is evil
Juan and scott will prominently argue. Probably accuse each other. They will ultimately be on the same side
Rowe will advocate for everyone to go out the airlock, or just murder them himself
Someone will be lying
Someone will be telling the truth, but be wrong
An evil player will confuse good by saying something true, but in an intentionally suspicious way

And finally

You will be thrown out a window just for looking suspicious, being suspicious, looking too innocent, or simply because someone got bored.

I wrote up some general notes; tips we’ve collected over the last 3 games. Might be helpful for new players: @Jorn_Weines, @JJSD, @Snebmi, @ArmandoPenblade

• If we have an evil baron in play, there are 3 outsiders, not 1.
  • The possible existence of a poisoner and/or a drunk makes everyone’s information suspect, even if they’re good.
  • It’s impossible (in the Trouble Brewing script) to think you’re good and actually be evil (and vice versa.) You might think you’re a townsfolk and actually be an outsider (drunk), but you know your alignment for sure.
  • This may seem obvious, but it’s easy to forget: evil players will bluff as good players. And the imp and spy have good information with which to bluff.
  • The imp and minions all know who the imp and minions are, but not each other’s roles.

I at least know most of that, just nothing about the game.

Question for the group: is it a good idea and/or expected to reveal or claim specific roles or do most people just say they’re townsfolk or an outsider or something and leave it at that?

It’s up to you. We’ve tried both. If you’re a useful active good player like the Empath or Undertaker and you reveal yourself, you’ll probably be a target for the imp. But if everyone who’s not active useful reveals themselves, that sort of highlights targets for the imp too. But if no one provides any info, we’ll never get anywhere. The game forces you to make decisions based on ambiguous information :)

Remember that everyone will claim to be good.

EDIT: Also we’re waiting for the first night to end to start actual play.

Day 1 dawns, and the town awakens to two pieces of news. The first, most dour, is that I, your humble storyteller, have been murdered. It seems as though your worst fears are true, a demon has hidden itself among you and even now seeks to corrupt and destroy every last living soul in the town.

The second, is that @ArmandoPenblade, a traveling bureaucrat, has arrived in town. Good or Evil, this traveler is sure to hold your votes to higher standard, granting great boons to those who properly fill out their paperwork.

A few notes on travelers, since this is the first time they’ve featured:
1: They can be affected by abilities just like other players
2: They don’t count towards the number of living players for Evil’s win condition
3: Travelers can nominate vote for executions the same way that other players do, including receiving a vote token to spend on one more vote after they die.
4: Travelers cannot be executed. Instead, at any time during the day, any player (living or dead) may call to exile a traveler. When this happens, all players vote on whether or not to they want the traveler to die (a dead player voting YES to this does not spend their vote token). If half or more of ALL players (not just living) vote YES, then the traveler is exiled and dies and the day proceeds as normal (it doesn’t count as an execution). Only one exile vote per day.

Town square (note that Armando arrives in town after all night actions are completed, so any that are adjacency based should make note that @jostly and @soondifferent were neighbors during night 1)

Town Square
@ craigm Alive
@ Snebmi Alive
@ jostly Alive
@ ArmandoPenblade Alive
@ soondifferent Alive
@ JJSD Alive
@ Jorn_Weines Alive
@ juan_raigada Alive
@ rowe33 Alive
@ lantz Alive
@ scottagibson Alive
@ CF_kane Alive
@ CaseyRobinson Alive
@ matt_w Alive
@ perky_goth Alive

Let the game begin!

Well then, as a representative of the good townsfolk of this community, let me be the first to welcome the esteemed agent of Her Imperial Majesty to our modest town. I hope you will enjoy your stay here, @ArmandoPenblade, as much as I am sure we will enjoy your bringing a taste of the more, hmm, refined society that is the Imperial College itself.

It’s good to be alive and a townsperson on this fine morning. Well, fine, except for that whole dead storyteller thing.

Good morning neighbors. I am a member of the townsfolk. Not quite ready yet to discuss my role.

So you are the Mayor?

I’m myself a regular townsfolk.

I… well, now that you put it that way, I suppose that’s how it could be interpreted. Be assured, however, that I did not set out to claim that lofty title! If I gave that impression to our esteemed visitor, I most humbly apologize.

And frankly, Juan, I assume you spoke for the benefit of edifying said visitor, since I’m sure any regular townsfolk would know who their Mayor was!

Good morning, this is dire news indeed. And dire signs and sounds in the night did not appear to be mere bad dreams. A murder most vile.

I am a townsfolk, but will decline more at this time.

(I will say more shortly, I am considering my role more closely)

Yes. I will say more today after a few more people check in.

I join the townsfolk group

“Hmmm. Hmmm. So, then, is that building your, ahm, inn? I suppose it must be, and,” he drops his tone to a lower, but still plainly audible, volume, “the signage at least provides evidence of some level of literacy here.”

“I am, of course, most honored by your welcome, goodly townsfolk; her majesty’s benevolence and civilizing influence reaches far into even these hinterlands, indeed. I will admit some astonishment about this most distressing murder, but I’m confident your local, ahm, constabulary will be up to the task of clearing the matter up entirely.”

Certainly, your excellency! We have a way of dealing with demons here in Ravenswood Bluff. You see that Clocktower over there? Well, every day we pick some hapless yahoo and throw him off. If we get lucky, he is the imp. More likely, we wind up offing the local chef, washerwoman, or various outsiders, get no closer to the truth, and the entire town succumbs to corruption.

Enjoy your stay!

Out of character, I’m going to be tired and grumpy throughout the weekend, so, yeah…
Good news, though, I am a townsfolk like all of you!

Minister Armando’s eyes widen perceptibly for a moment, before his face splits into a neighing guffaw.

“Ah, Mr. Kane, your provincial humor is simply to die for. I adore it. Would you be so kind as to help me transport these briefcases and assorted accoutrements to yon inn? There is ever so much paperwork to do, and I’m positively eager to dig into the town’s registers and logbooks.”

Ok, roleplaying jokes aside, we’ve got the potentially single Outsider here, any more?