Bloodborne: a midsummer night's terror

Title Bloodborne: a midsummer night's terror
Author Andrew Kneller
Posted in Game diaries
When March 26, 2015

I awake in a hospital bed. A man I do not know has just given me a transfusion of "Yharnam Blood". As if that wasn't enough to disturb me, a pool of blood appears and expands on the floor next to my bed..

Read the full article

I've had a heck of a time with the Cleric Beast; as a boss it seems nastier than most from DS and DS II. Having said that, the guy back at the Central Yharnam lamp tells you about a different route to the Cathedral if you talk to him after being killed by the beast, so I wonder if From intended for the Cleric Beast to be the first boss you defeat or a message that there are sometimes other avenues open if the game seems frustrating.

I watched a guy on Youtube (BrettUltimus) repeatedly try to conventionally beat the Behemoth in the Final Fantasy XV demo, and getting more and more frustrated each time he lost. Kinda funny in retrospect.

Consoles can't die off fast enough so we can finally leave this exclusivity stuff behind.

I got through him on the second try. I spent time grinding in the sewers and built up about 8000 blood echos until I found Cleric Beast. I died the first time and woke up at the doll. I went back to him via the short route of unlocked gates, got my blood echos back and exited with the Bold Hunter's Mark that lets you escape without losing your blood echos. After that I went back to the doll and leveled up to I think level 16. I had also spent some blood on upgrading my weapon earlier too and buying the armor set at the bath in the hunters dream. Then I went back to Cleric Beast and used molotovs and my pistol and then charged heavy attacks when he was stunned. I started the battle with 20 blood viles and finished with I think 8.

Just like Souls, the game gets a lot easier if you spend some grind time early on.

That is definitely true. I spent a lot of time at the fourth boss with little to no luck. I ground a couple levels and beat it on the first go. Sometimes you are just woefully under-prepared for what you are trying.

I hope this sees a PC release sometime.

They've announced there aren't any plans to do so.

Even if it does happen, it'll be like Dark Souls where it takes years followed by more months until fan patches make it playable.

My prediction is that by the time the consoles go away some sort of subscription based service will take over that will allow for a form of exclusives.

Better late than never for a game with praise this one has been getting. Which I don't often (or at all) for anything these days.

Or you can just buy a PS4...

I understand the PC is the best platform in that it's the most powerful, but depriving yourself of great games just because it's not on PC isn't a good way to go imo. Exclusives exist to make consoles worthwhile. They will always exist, so just get used to it. If you're interested in something a console has to offer, waiting/hoping for it to come to PC is foolish. Just get a console and play your multi plats on PC.

Can't edit, because I'm a guest -

But besides, the game was published by Sony Japan Studios, a Sony first party developer. Also, I'm pretty sure Sony Japan Studio had a hand in its development, similar to Demon's Souls on PS3. The art design in Demon's and Bloodborne are better than the Dark games imo. I think Sony Japan's collaboration with From helped with that.

Except this generation has been a failure for gaming as a whole which lead me to leave consoles after the PS3. And like I always say, you got issues if you are considering buying a console for the sake of a single game. Oh and why would I want to play multi plats on PC as if PC has no exclusives (not that good games matter if they are exclusive or not to people aside from those deprived). I'm not an addict to that degree my friend, late or never, I won't be missing out on life if I never tough bloodbourne. If exclusives feel they can financially earn more than multiplayer, so be it, but I won't go out of my way for fanboyisms sake, nor for any one company. These are businesses. Not my friends.

This generation is no different than any other. They always have slow starts. And saying you won't get a console just for one game is understandable, but that won't be the case. There will be multiple games on consoles that interest you this generation, I can guarantee that. I invest in systems because I know they will deliver in the long run. PS4 has games like Uncharted 4, the inevitable TLOU2, Bloodborne, Alienation, Tearaway Unfolded, Guerrilla games open world RPG, Persona 5 etc. Xbox One has Halo 5, Gears, Scalebound, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break and many more on the horizon. Why deprive yourself of great games?

It's not about fanboyism, it's about playing great games now, not wait for the possibility of those great console games to go to PC somewhere down the line.

This is crazy talk. You're not selling out or becoming a "fanboy" if you purchase a console. Does the fact that "these are businesses" color any of your other decisions in life to such a degree? I'm assuming that since you are a PC gamer and on the internet you are not living off the grid and purchase most of the goods you use in life. Does the "not my friends" thinking come into play when you're buying a taco or a t-shirt? If you're like most people you likely make an evaluation of the goods worth and whether you are paying a fair price.

The game was funded (i.e., exists) because it's an exclusive. :)

Corrections:
"NG+++[ ](and so on)"
"Third time[']s the charm"