Bloodborne: bringing a broadsword to a gunfight

Title Bloodborne: bringing a broadsword to a gunfight
Author Andrew Kneller
Posted in Game diaries
When March 30, 2015

The combat systems in the Dark Souls games have always been a point of contention. While I enjoyed much of the combat in Dark Souls, it was incredibly easy to find certain tools and cheese bosses or enemies to death..

Read the full article

I read these the moment they are posted and I am looking for updates frequently. None of my friends are currently playing this game, so having this diary is really enhancing my enjoyment.

I would like to read some commentary on the multiplayer system. I see in the screen above that you are fighting Blood-starved Beast (where I am now too) with another hunter, and I was wondering how you feel about teaming up. I am afraid that I wont get the satisfaction in beating a boss if I use help.

I think that is a good fear to have. My recommendation is to try every boss at least 2-3 times solo before summoning help. I summoned help for the BSB before trying it solo, and I wish I hadn't, since it felt too easy and didn't really give that hard-won sense of satisfaction.

Minor Spoiler (boss name) below:

I am really, really glad I didn't summon help for the Shadows of Yharnam boss fight. It only ended up taking me 3 tries, but when I finally won, I involuntarily let out a loud whoop. It was immensely satisfying to beat them on my own. That fight was tough but fair, and tons of fun. Then I decided to get summoned for that boss, and wow, it becomes ridiculously easy with 2 summons (almost no one turns the beckoning bell off after the first summon, so even if they go into the fight with 1 summon, usually during the fight another shows up to help). Even with 1 cooperator it was about 1/2 as challenging and 1/2 as fun.

In short: never use summoning as a default, only when desperate.