Bloodstained - new Metroidvania from Iga

Koji Igarashi, the guy responsible for Symphony of the Night, left Konami a while back. He has posted this Kickstarter for a spiritual follow up called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It looks pretty awesome!

Good lord I’m ready to back just over the super Japanese pitch video alone.

That pitch video is a thing of beauty

The pricing structure’s a little gross. $28 for a digital copy? $60 for the physical copy (and the bottom-most tier to get a small amount of exclusive content in the form of a weapon and an optional boss)?

Not a great look.

I’m in!

SotN is still my favourite Metroidvania, and one of my favourite games ever. I’m ready for another igavania.

Sadly have to agree. I was ready to back for a digital copy before clicking through but now I’m going to wait and see how things look at the end of the month.

The game is going to be fully backed within the next 10-15 mins or so. Pretty nuts.

That video is the new best thing.

Also, I do like that he acknowledges that there are other people who have been continuing to make these style games, and that he simply wants to continue to have his own voice heard.

Edit: Fully funded.

Ok guys I want to start seeing your selfies and cosplays so we can start unlocking some sweet game content!

-Todd

HOLY CRAP, I will kickstart it twice. And he’s even releasing on Xbone, what a guy!

This entire time we could have been calling them Igavanias.

Jesus, it’s funded AND has hit all the stretch goals.

Not all of the ones listed. And I’m sure there’s plenty more that haven’t been revealed yet. (Though, who knows, maybe they didn’t think they’d be this popular.)

I’m happy it’s going this well and (actually, to a degree because it’s going this well) feel no desire to actually back it. I dunno. I love the genre, I think this will probably be great, but I also think I can probably drop considerably less money by the time there’s actually room for it on my list of things to play, and there’s no apparent benefit to backing for a digital-only copy over just waiting. (I don’t want a physical copy at all, but certainly not for $60.)

Fans have been using that term for years to refer to the Igarashi games in the series.

I feel the same. I’m excited for the game but there seems to be no benefit to “pre-ordering” so early.

It hit all the new stretch goals as well. I’m curious for the next tier

Speed Run mode is almost unlocked. I’m curious about the further rewards as they keep hinting at Nintendo. I’d like to see a Vita version.

Man, I really look forward to completely sucking at and being fully incapable of beating this came. Just like every other game of its ilk I’ve ever played/loved!

How do I unlock the guide to explain how these Kickstarter rewards work? This is complicated.

Polygon criticizes indie game Kickstarters using Bloodstained as their example.

Five other companies are listed on Bloodstained’s Kickstarter page. If I only count the cute faces and names, we have a total of 20 extra staff to handle marketing, merchandise and PR. Marketing can easily match a game’s budget on its own, but let’s assume — again, with big sparkly anime eyes and youthful hearts — that we’ll only be doubling the budget by bringing on another 20 people across five companies.

We now have a budget of $7.2 million.

This is napkin math, but you begin to understand how quickly costs can escalate.

Even knowing that Igarashi’s publishing partner is covering 90 percent of their pre-Kickstarter budget, that’s only $5 million on the table. Where is that extra $2.2 million coming from? If Igarashi had asked for the full $7.2 million on Kickstarter up front, it’s almost a guarantee the team would never have made its goal. But is this recent pattern of compromising on the “public budget” vs. the “true budget” really any better?