Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

Something funny happened. I found Apocrypha on ebay a couple of days ago, new for a good price. I checked back a couple of times, but did not pull the trigger.

Today I got a price offer for 7.5% off of the former price. I checked the seller, seemed legit and I bought it. They know how to catch me!

Gamez:

Heh, Fantasy Flight either managed a fortuitous release schedule for Marvel Champions or they had insider information about a certain ongoing TV show. :)

-Tom

I had this exact same thought! It was actually delayed a couple of weeks so it may have been intentional.

Damn. I didn’t expect an actual spoiler there.

LOL. I certainly didn’t expect it from Tom.

Jeez, I wish I watched the latest ep before reading this thread.

Edit: but I’m also more excited to watch it now!

Played a quick learning round of Wrestlenomicon with my GF in TTS. Pretty fun little game. One player plays Cthulhu (me in this case), the other the King in Yellow, trying to defeat the other Great Old One in a no-holds-barred wrestling match, complete with gloriously punny card names and gloriously gnarly eldritch tentacly art. It features an interesting system where you can take one of three actions on your turn: play an attack card, play a permanent card, or pass and draw 2 (/3 if you also discard a card). Attack cards go onto a track of 6 cards with a seventh Ground Zero card at the end. Your attack will specify a position it’s played to on that track, and a Momentum value that it lends to another card you already have on the track to move it closer to Ground Zero (sometimes, they’ll move everything). When an attack reaches Ground Zero, it fires, doing its attack ability and possibly also a Slam ability if the opponent’s most recent attack is of the right type. You can only attack once per turn, and you can only have one card in each position on the track, so timing and positioning is definitely a factor, especially considering Slam effects.

Permanent cards do something when brought into play, and then offer some passive benefit as they remain in play (you can have two at most). For example, as Cthulhu I got a card called “Let’s Take This Outside” (into space), which got me card draw to start and then damaged my opponent whenever they passed to draw cards. (Sadly, it never fired as she got a card off that destroyed one of my permanents before she passed.) You can also have Combo cards that don’t count as an action for that turn but can only be played under specific circumstances. And the final wrinkle, is that some card effects get you Cultists worshipping you, which you can sacrifice when applying momentum to add momentum, one for one.

Things were very close, with both of us down to one HP before the end. But I was able to maneuver an attack into going off before she could get one (that did damage, at least) into range, so I won. Barely. Should have significant replayability as well, not least because you at most see a little over half the total deck for a character during any particular game - 25 of your cards at random form your Guts (HP) pool.

PS: You won’t (yet?) find this mod on the Workshop…because I made it myself. Yep, I’ve taken my first steps into TTS modding. Some teething pains along the way, but it was good fun for the most part and I am quite satisfied with the results. Hoping to get some Dice Throne Adventures and Hexplore It modding going soon, although both are significantly more substantial tasks than this little purely-cards game. Hexplore It in particular poses the question of how to implement those dry erase player sheets.

Board Game Geek turns 21 today, meaning it is old enough to drink!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2585742/happy-21st-birthday-geek

It’s probably already been drinking legally for the past 5 years in Europe. :)

That’s a ripe old age for a social site that’s managed to not been overtaken by the younger wannabes though. Nice!

And also not bought out by someone else to run it into the ground… not that I don’t have complaints. It’s still a great resource regardless.

I found this and plan on using it for the First Player Marker in Dune Imperium (it was like 6 bucks or so).

I have never painted a miniature in my life but I was thinking of painting this some sort of tan and maybe the mouth red. Any tips on what I should get etc. I do not want to leave it a gray color. Nor do I want to spend a lot of money; a single solid color is fine etc.

If you want to go really cheap, you don’t necessarily need to get a primer. A primer makes the paint stick better to the plastic and will make it less likely to chip off, but it’s not strictly necessary and it seems like a good bit of people paint without them especially when first getting into it. If you want to try priming, this is the primer I use. It’s a simple spray can you’ll want to use outside and apply very lightly.

I like Craftsmart for cheap acrylic paints, but they are not great quality. You could get a set like this one or search for the individual colors you want. That set doesn’t have tan, but you could mix yellow and brown to get it. Also, putting some grey on the rocks at the base will be pretty easy and give it a nice contrast! If you want nicer paints that are easier to mix and apply, I like Vallejo Game Color paint but it’s like twice as expensive. Still paint goes a long way, you’ll definitely have enough to keep using it.

I’m using these super cheap acrylic brushes and loving them. You can search around for fancy expensive brushes if you’d like, but I prefer these cheap-o ones even though I have nice ones.

If you want to go one step farther, I’d get a Games Workshop Wash, either black or brown would look great on that. A wash is a magical watered down paint that is dark. When you paint it on the model it will fall into all the crevices and stay off the tops, giving it easy natural shading. It makes all the texture of your model pop. It’s very easy to apply, you just brush it over the whole thing after your first layer of tan paint has dried. Takes 2 minutes to apply, but makes you look like you spent all night on it.

a matte varnish would be useful, to seal the paint. Although I saw videos were a guy tested miniatures without varnish, didn’t make a difference, all miniatures were fine

this channel I like to watch

Hmmm…has anyone here played Valda?

They just finished a kickstarter for the expansion, which is how it got my attention, even though I went for the base game instead.

That base game arrived today.

No, but…ooooh, so pretty. Must resist…buying board game…for art…design…

This box cover is just great, maybe because I have some affection for the time period and place. I heard the game is also good/great. There are solo variants, but I don’t know if I would like it. I bet this is a great multiplayer game.

Maybe this year will be better for playing with people, second half of 2021 that is…

Thanks @porousnapkin for the thoughtful reply.

You too @newbrof for the video channel.

I appreciate the help.

Brass is great. The publisher did say late last year that they have an app version in the works, so hopefully soon. I think it would work well as an async game.

Brass is like the best accidentally suited for async play board game design there is. You only take 16 turns the whole game, and on the majority of rounds somebody ends up taking their turns back-to-back. So in practice you end up with about 50-55 context switches. (Compared to >200 for board games of a comparable weight). It makes a huge difference in how quickly the game plays, and how engaged everyone stays.

And despite having so few tuns per player, the game space ends up immense. The actions are just so chunky and consequential, and there’s a perfect mix of hidden vs. public information for the async setting. (Can’t compute everything exactly which is just tedious, but there’s enough uncertainty and mindgames that you’d like to think for longer than is polite during a live game.)