Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

Well, the core gameplay is. They all have their own twists except for Hans/Camp Happy Trails, as I described above.

Ohhhhh shit nobody said it was a solo game. Hmmmm

Also my Wyrmwood Modular Table (Espresso) shipped

Has anyone played Meadow? I am wondering if it would work with non gamer types?

I’ve played it a handful of times with my daughters (12 and 9) and they enjoy it. It is deceptively heavy though despite the beautiful artwork and theming. I wouldn’t use it as a first-time game for someone who’s not into board games. I think Wingspan is a better choice if they don’t have experience in board games. Meadow has a lot of iconography to learn and flexibility in choices you can make on your turn that could be intimidating to first timers. Overall though I do like it and it is beautiful so if you think the party can handle what I would consider a medium weight game then go for it!

I am moving soon and am trying to get rid of some board games. If anyone lives near the San Fernando Valley I am offering them for free to someone who is willing to pick up. Here is a picture of some of what I am giving away.

Also giving away a barely used copy of Arkham Horror and Leonardo Da Vinci.

I guess unrelated to Board games I am also looking to give away a PS2 with a bunch of games, and fantasy/sci fi paperbacks.

You can PM me if interested.

It’s here. Wyrmwood finally came through. Might be juuuust a smidge too big but it really holds the room together! The cats have already determined they have partial ownership. I’m going to have to have Old English scratch remover on standby

is that low table for games? that’s gonna be the second-most fun you can have getting rug burn!

Yes. I have a full height game topper in my dining room that can seat 10. It was too big for most games. This is perfect for 6. We can keep something set up in the well or play on the coffee table height top. Shouldn’t be too uncomfortable but will let you know!

I can always swap full height legs in too.

Nice! I am still waiting on mine from the October 2021 batch. It will be my first game table so I’m probable going large and full height for the dining room (since it’s rarely used for eating anyway).

That’s a real beaut you got there, Kadath! The cat, I mean. The table’s no slouch, either.

-Tom

Thanks Tom. She and her brother are good company. She has convulsions about every 8 weeks and had one about an hour after that picture was taken. Sat and stroked & comforted her until she came out of it and was good as new 5 minutes later. Scary but relieved she didn’t hurt herself flailing from one floor to the other

Any recommendations for three player games?

I am thinking that Dune Imperium fits the bill. Maybe Ethnos but cannot think of too many others.

I agree that Dune Imperium works well with three (I haven’t played Ethnos). Some other games that I know play well with three:

Argent: The Consortium (wizards!)
Pax Pamir 2nd edition (jezails!)
Road to Canterbury (Chaucer!)
Caverna (dwarves!)
Innovation (innovations!)

Are you looking for any particular type of game?

Ra
Greenland
A Study in Emerald
Concordia

I’d counter that Caverna works best at higher player counts than 3. There’s a gems vs. adventure tradeoff that will benefit whichever player goes it alone. Even though it becomes a pretty long game, my favorite games of Caverna have been with 7 players so as to make competition for rooms more cutthroat.

I am simultaneously intrigued and frightened. I can definitely see the competition ramping up at higher player counts, but the downtime… woof.

Yeah, it can be brutal. I used to do boardgaming at a local brewery, so the downtime was spent drinking and shooting the shit, which helped. With Caverna, the room availability does not vary with player count, so higher counts really do make it a different game. I kind of hated it with 2; loved it much more with 5-7.

Dune Imperium is good with three. We also like Yokohama with three.