Boardgaming 2022: the year of "point salad really isn't very filling"

Hey all - sorry have been invisible in this thread lately. Life has been… life! Planning to re-engage soon.

This morning this happened:

After a minute of trying to crowbar the door, they smashed it, immediately went for the safe and left. HAHA, stupid criminals. I hardly do any cash business. They got $719, the safe, and left me with a really annoying door situation. Ugh.

Makes me think they aren’t gamers - they could have gotten far more value out of TCG product or dice.

Ugh, that sucks. The door will cost more to fix than the cash they took :(

Yeah, but imagine the embarrassment if someone saw them with that stuff before they had a chance to sell it? Someone might think they’re a nerd

Have you tried the handicap cards with less than 4 players?

That’s terrible, Mike! I hope the insurance, etc, is not too much of a headache for you. I’ll come down sometime soon and give you some New Door money in exchange for a game or two!

Likewise! I’ve been meaning to swing by myself

I’ve played it once, so, no.

Just did my massively over-priced kickstarter backing for the year, with Moonrakers: Titan.

sigh

Just received Unsettled. So excited for this…hope it lives up to expectations. If so, buying all the “DLC” planets.

Went to check out the kickstarter page for Moonraker: Titans, and boy that campaign is 100% focused on people who already know what Moonraker is. I’ve never heard of it.

I also checked it out…thank heavens it’s not that great for solo since I’ve been into a lot of space games recently…and dont need more right now.

Oh man, good times. Unsettled is definitely one of my favorite boardgames of the last few years.

Great to hear…really want to get my kid and wife playing something and they both love space stuff so maybe.

It is a cool deckbuilder with negotiation. Basically, you go on missions and are rewarded for completing missions with resources/cards. Some missions are quite hard and require cooperation, so you negotiate with folks at the table to participate in the mission.

Your deck impacts missions, obviously, but you also buildout and customize a ship with crew and components

Base game was well-received, but had a rough attack the leader component. They’ve smoothed that out with an expansion that means you get reputation for helping on missions, which also gives you rewards. Another expansion doubles the content in the base game (cards). A third expansion adds lots of theme with how you explore the galaxy and specialize in different types of missions.

It is really cool… but dang the kickstarter is expensive

Does the negotiation have rules around it at all, or is it just 100% convincing people to do stuff?

Yes!

When you take a mission, you have the following aspects to the mission (contract). It may reward you in prestige, credits, or bonus cards. You may negotiate with other players for anything that appears on that contract card, as well as the hazard dice (which determine risk/performance of the mission). You can’t offer up money/cards or anything outside of that.

Now, the allied player can be dishonest on the agreement, and you won’t know until the cards they’ve placed down to assist in the missions are turned over.

Screenshot 2022-07-19 104232

At least it wasn’t Company of Heroes 2nd Edition…

Been playing lots of Mage Knight since I last posted on June 18. Ten times to be exact. I was following your suggestions upthread. After winning four 4/7 games, I switched back to 5/8 and won 5 times in a row! The scores ranged from 148 to 185.

I figured I had this down, so I tried Norowas again. He’d had my highest score so far of 190 on 4/7.

Nope! I got my lowest score ever of … 39! Yep, that’s right, 39. Was only able to recruit 1 unit of peasants, used them once, then they got paralyzed and destroyed.

Okay. Regroup. Next day Norowas again. This time I ended up with 6 units. Scored my first 200+ game with a final tally of 210! What a turn around. Love this game!

I got to try My Father’s Work, by Renegade Games. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

The basics of it are: it’s a competitive worker placement game. Select spots on your board or the shared board and get benefits. You’re doing it to complete cards worth points. So far, so mundane, right?

But it has 3 cool twists:

• Theme: you are cousins of an old family moving to a small, isolated village, in Eastern Europe. You get to name your character and the village. The cards you complete are mad and often gruesome or dangerous scientific or occult experiments befitting your status as a recluse in a big mansion. The flavour text is great.
  • Variable map and story app: You get to make choices at certain points (when the crowd becomes suspicious of you, when one of you goes insane enough, when you visit a certain spot, …). Those change the village (which buildings and factions are there) and the direction the game is taking.
  • Time: The game takes place over 3 generations of the family, where you retain some of the gains of the previous generation but lose most of your resources in between. You also have to deal with the changes you brought to the village during the previous generation.

Personal board, the village and story app

You are trying to complete a master work over those 3 generations for big points (all my experiments were working towards lycanthropy). If the crowd becomes suspicious of your work, your options in the village become severely restricted. Similarly, you can cause your servants or spouse to run away in horror.

The bases represent roles. So your lord of the manor can equally be a lady of the manor or look like Igor. The spouse can equally be any of the figures. Cool.

If it wasn’t a 3+ hour game, I’d want to play it quite a bit. We played the same scenario our friends had played already and got a completely different 3rd act than they did, because our choices had led the village in a different direction.

As it is, it is very long for a worker placement game. I’m glad my friends own it. I want to play it more. But I don’t think I would splurge to try and source a KS edition. The components are fantastic though. So I’m kind of sorry I didn’t back it.

So the spiral bound book contains the maps? Do the maps change mid-game or between games?

Me want.