Boardgaming 2022: the year of "point salad really isn't very filling"

I put a late pledge into Oathsworn 2.0 and am thinking about pledging for the new Tainted Grail. I’m new to this. Tainted Grail isn’t taking pledges right now because their campaign ended and they aren’t taking late pledges right now. From the comments it looks like maybe late Feb. Is there any reason not to do that and wait for a retail release? It looks like they are planning to do a retail release. I’m not sure how much later that would be. But, buying from Amazon would save quite a bit in shipping.

If I do Tainted Grail I was thinking of getting the 2.0 version of the original and the new one. It looks like if I don’t care about getting miniatures I’d get the core version, right? Then their might by extra gameplay one could add on, like extra campaigns?

There is no reason to care about miniatures at all for Tainted Grail as they are barely used. They are only worth getting if you just like cool minis. The core pledge for the previous campaign, which I believe is also available on the current one, is three full length campaigns. You can also add on a half length expert difficulty campaign as an epilogue to any of the three, and a mini expansion that gives objectives for each character to get mild bonuses and more backstory.

I wouldn’t count on a retail release. I am sure they would like to but it has not happened for Tainted Grail to date. And even if they do I would suspect that the retail version of the original campaigns would sell the core box and second wave campaigns separately.

The kids and i have really enjoyed united. The expansions used to be unavailable other than Kickstarter but the just started selling like 5 of them at retail. Also they just announced a season 3 will be getting Kickstarted so there might be an opportunity to pick up the others that currently aren’t available in retail.

The comments for what’s updated in Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalan spark hope in me. I played maybe two sessions of the first release with three other folks. It was too much of a slog. Over half the play time was spent maintaining elements on the board, so it really felt like a waste of our limited get-together time. I was guessing the rules at that time made it a better solo experience, which a person could learn through failure in a more rapid and rewarding fashion, but I didn’t have a chance to try that out.

I played one game of the original Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood, which was promising enough to put in a pledge for the second edition. At a high level, it reminds me of Kingdom Death: Monster, with character and town advancement between big fights.

How do you guys get rid of games you no longer want to play - sell / trade at a local store, ebay, board game geek marketplace? If you use an online method, when you ship a game, can you use US postal service media mail or don’t board games qualify? I need to find a way to get rid of Sleep Gods + the Tides expansion.

I just sold mine to Half-price Books, but I didn’t care about getting a good return, I wanted them gone before I moved with minimum fuss. HPB will do that. they will not give you anything like what a private buyer might.

Facebook Marketplace, marked fairly cheap and pick-up only. Sends the games into the local community and I don’t have to sign up for anything, pay anything, go anywhere, or do anything, apart from be here when someone comes to collect something.

I sold my Sleeping Gods + Extras that way, didn’t get a lot for it but made someone happy and it was barely any work. :)

I do post the occasional thing if it’s small, hardly worth it otherwise (in Australia).

I’ve also done Facebook Marketplace and had good luck.

Most commonly I give games to friends who I think will like them when I’m getting rid of them. I got Wayfarers of the South Tigris recently and it didn’t click with me, but did with a friend I was playing with, so he can take it home.

Sometimes I bring them to Goodwill and donate them. I’ve heard libraries sometimes take donations, but haven’t tried that yet.

I’m lucky enough to have an annual board game convention in town that runs an auction. There’s a good crowd of buyers, the convention gets a small cut to help with operations, and everything’s local.

I was supposed to get an email if Oathsworn pledge manager reopened. I never got one, but I saw your post above. I went ahead just now and put in a late pledge also! I know I will enjoy the game from my experience at BGG Con.

Now, the wait begins.

I’ve bought probably 8 solo boardgames in the past month…well, coop and solo, and played 3 of them so far but Aeon Trespass Odyssey is supposed to come to my house tomorrow. I made a deal with my kid that we would not buy any more games until after we get back from Iceland in June so Aeon should tide me over. I already have a list going of board and video games I want to get next July.

I’ve thrown games away at times. Used to sell them on Board Game Geek but at times I get so sick of so many boxes, I do a big dump run. Try not to do that for newer, in good shape games I’ve barely played, those I just post on forums and give away but older ones with sketchy parts and pieces, I just dump em.

Holiday weeks are for board games. Also family. But mostly board games.

My eight-year-old is starting to get into games more and more. This week we introduced her to Spots, which she adored, and Return to Dark Tower, which was maybe a teensy bit too hefty for her, but she liked it anyway because it’s exciting to stay up late playing games. She’s asked every day if we can play more Spots. A good sign.

I was forced into playing What’s Your Meme? at a family gathering. It was awful. We also played another ultra-light party game, but it was one of those informal “what’s your name?” games. We’ve had success in the past with social deduction, so I would have rather brought Blood on the Clocktower or something. My sister isn’t a non-gamer; at the same party she asked me to teach her how to play her new copy of Era: Medieval Age! Oh well. Maybe next year.

I received Aeon’s Trespass and laid out all the millions of cards on a table that was within reach of my new puppy…OMG. I left for about 5 minutes outside to take the garbage and cardboard out to the street and coming back in…dozens of cards all over the floor and about 8 of them destroyed, one from a secret deck. If he wasn’t so darn cute…AUGH. Will try and get replacements but I spent a bit over MSRP to get this and am not a happy dad right now.

My daughters are 7 and 9 so some commonality on boardgames…

I’ll report back on Chronicles of Avel… this game is excellent! A great intro to light RPGs and co-operate play and great for the family. Fun mechanics include exploration and revealing tiles, and the game is well balanced to be fighting the boss at the end. My younger daughter was afraid of the Beast so had to leave the room, even as it was a fairly easy victory.

Some of the RPG game mechanics made me smile - like my daughter needing to rearrange equipment in her backpack and be forced to leave something behind that doesn’t fit. Should have sold that extra sword first!

Pic with daughter who always makes a funny face in pictures.

I also couldn’t help but snap a picture!

Love these pics!

But someone needs to photoshop some flames on that tower. Disaster Girl goes dark fantasy. :D

Love it! What are the ages of the kids? We have 7 and 3, and are probably a bit behind the curve in board games.

Mine are 8 and 3. We’ve always used board games as activities, but the older one has been increasingly interested in the games we play at our game nights. For New Year’s, she stayed up past midnight playing Return to Dark Tower with us. She felt very grown up and special.

Yeah, I think our soon-to-be 8 y.o. would love to play games with us, just for that reason, almost regardless of what the game is.

I read a couple reviews on BGG and forwarded one to the wife and got the go-ahead for it. (Just have to decide whether it should be a birthday present (she also needs a bigger bike) or if it should be a “family gift”.) Her younger brother will be four at the end of the month. One of the reviews mentioned playing it successfully with a 4 y.o. but honestly I don’t think he’ll have the ability to sit still for long enough (naturally). Trouble is, I’m not sure when we’d get time to play it when he’s not around, and if he is around he’ll want to be included (naturally).

My 4- and 6-year-olds got My Lil Everdell for Christmas and I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting the worker placement felt, while being significantly streamlined. And the game includes special starting handicap cards for younger players that meant I could go nuts trying to optimize my turns while still losing.

The only negative is that mountains of victory points are still the win condition, so the end of the game is the grownups anticlimactically adding up bonuses and declaring a winner. Which, I guess, it has in common with Everdell proper.